Close

Default Can someone tell me what this plug is for?

I was installing a new set of chrome radiator brackets to replace the chipped black ones I had and was looking over my engine and cleaning and also just making sure everything was connected since i've only had the car 4 months now. I noticed this plug next to the fuel injector on the passenger side with nothing connected to it. There is no same plug on the driver's side. Unfortunately I only have a Hayne's manual for a 94-04 Mustang and not one for a 79-93. I do have a 79-93 Kirschenbaum Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, but this book does more explaining the difference between model years and describing things like, "the stock Ford IAC operates at .06 volts." It doesn't have any wiring diagrams in it. Hopefully someone can tell me what this plug is for. It should be noted that the previous owner removed the A/C and the smog pump.

Also close to the plug, this piece on the line was capped and plugged.

1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I am not 100% on the plug without going out and looking at one of mine. On the later models the A/C power wires did have a pigtail that allowed that section of harness to be removed, but I don't recall the exact year. The caps are to seal off the coolant flow to the EGR spacer on the throttle body.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not 100% on the plug without going out and looking at one of mine. The caps are to seal off the coolant flow to the EGR spacer on the throttle body.
    Ok, thanks! That makes sense why it would be like that. I am curious on the plug though. I have like like every 5.0, MM&FF, and even Super Fords magazines, yet I don't have a 79-93 Hayne's manual. I must have it in my basement somewhere.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

It went to an emissions purge solenoid of some sort. I'm assuming you no longer have some of the smog related gear on the passengers side of your engine.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    It went to an emissions purge solenoid of some sort. I'm assuming you no longer have some of the smog related gear on the passengers side of your engine.
    Thank you, good to know it's not just some plug that was missing it's connection. Yes, I have all my smog equipment removed.