Close

Thread: Orange konis

Default Orange konis

Has anybody had any experience with the orange konis shock and struts? I want to get them for my 83 mustang but fitment says they will only work for 87-93. Why is that ? And is there a work around to get them to work ?
    Last edited by Szabo83; 05-03-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Default Orange konis

Last edited by Szabo83; 05-03-2021 at 08:32 PM.

79-86 spindles use a mount that is @ 1" thick. The 87-93 V8 spindles use a mount that is @ 3/4" thick. The 87-93 4 cyl spindles are the same as the 79-86 spindles. The Orange Koni struts and ALL other performance struts currently manufactured are designed for the 87-93 V8 spindle mount of 3/4" which happens to be the same size as the 94-04 spindles too. The only performance struts made with the wider spacer were original Pre 86 Konis, etc.

So there are only two work arounds. Either upgrade your ride to the 87-93 V8 spindles and you can use the later model style struts. The second option is to have a machine shop mill your spindle mounts down to the @ 3/4" width and use the later model style struts. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but hope that helps explain it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    79-86 spindles use a mount that is @ 1" thick. The 87-93 V8 spindles use a mount that is @ 3/4" thick. The 87-93 4 cyl spindles are the same as the 79-86 spindles. The Orange Koni struts and ALL other performance struts currently manufactured are designed for the 87-93 V8 spindle mount of 3/4" which happens to be the same size as the 94-04 spindles too. The only performance struts made with the wider spacer were original Pre 86 Konis, etc.

So there are only two work arounds. Either upgrade your ride to the 87-93 V8 spindles and you can use the later model style struts. The second option is to have a machine shop mill your spindle mounts down to the @ 3/4" width and use the later model style struts. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but hope that helps explain it.
    I wasn’t expecting good news to be honest lol but it’s a big help I couldn’t find much info on why and this was a great explanation.

With that being said, if I go with a stock replacement shock and strut, would it be okay using a lowering spring ? If I wasn’t able to use koni oranges I was going to go to the kybs.

I'm not a fan of KYBs. They were plenty harsh for an after market non-performance shock. FWIW, if you swap to the 87-93 v8 spindle you will also gain bigger front brakes (yours are 10"; the 87+ are 11"). That alone was worth it to me to swap with the added bonus of better strut selection.

Supposedly the KYB AGX are decent performance struts/shocks based upon input from some FEP members. The KYB Gas Adjust were terrible in regards to overall ride quality and harness. I don't recommend them.

I agree that the 87-93 V8 spindles are a worthwhile swap. That is my go to if for some reason I am not going 5 lug with SN95 spindles. I plan on adding the V8 spindles to my 82 RS that is stay 4 lug only so I can run the TRX replica wheels.

If using a stock style replacement strut/shock I would recommend going with the Eibach Pro-Kit front springs. They will give you the lowering you want, but the overall spring rate is only slightly more than stock, so the ride quality is good. The whole Eibach Pro System is a great option if you are willing to spend the extra money on the Eibach struts/shocks. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-30-2021 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thank you guys

Oh something I forgot. The Eibach Pro struts will actually fit the 79-86 spindles without modifications. They are the wider mount. With that said, they are designed for their Pro Kit springs, so they are a slightly more performance strut that your standard Monroe, Gabriel, Motorcraft replacement. That is an option if you want to stay with the original spindles. Although I highly recommend the improved braking of the 87-93 V8 spindles. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The best quote, from a customer no less, about KYBs is "Shocks are KYB - great for 4 laps then I am waiting for car to stop porposing."

The second best quote is "KYB = Kill Your Back"
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support