Close

Thread: Mass Air.....

FEP User

Default Mass Air.....

Just wondering if anyone on here has swapped to mass air? and was curious the time and dificulty. Does it make a noticeable difference? I am wanting to put in a cam a E303 and I was told that i needed mass air first.
    I got flowtech headers, flowmaster exhaust, mac cold air, pullies, 4.10 gears.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

gtluke

i wouldn't put an e-cam in an 86 motor. your best performance gain would be to put on a set of 87-95 heads and call it a day. you cannot use an e-cam with 87 heads and an 86 shortblock though.
    you really arn't going to gain anything from a cam swap with stock heads.

FEP User

How about 87 heads port and polished??

gtluke

not really worth the money
    save up for a set of real heads if you want real performance.
    if you are going to spend money, save the money you would spend on heads and a cam and just save up for a set of heads.
    you should be able to find a set of e7 87-93 heads for free or like $100 or something.
    87 heads and intake would do you worlds of difference. and the throttle body. if you look arround the internet enough you should be able to pick that stuff up for free. people have "get this **** out of my garage" giveaways all the time over at www.corral.net
    just be patient and look for adds in your area.

cool86

yeah go with 87 and newer heads and a decent intake, TB upgrade and you will notice a huge difference- make sure you upgrade to a 87-88 computer also. you can find these SD computers cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by cool86
    yeah go with 87 and newer heads and a decent intake, TB upgrade and you will notice a huge difference- make sure you upgrade to a 87-88 computer also. you can find these SD computers cheap.
    In what way are the 87/88 computers different from the 86? The HP #s from 86 to 87 was only +25 but I thought the only differences were heads and intake.

Rich.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

gtluke

skye said that when mike put an 88 SD computer in his car it performed MUCH better. maybe it doesnt make all that much more hp, but i think it is just a better piece.

FEP User

I just got an 89' intake and I am in the process of polishing it. I hope it helps with performance. Also, will the 88 computer just plug right in or do I have to modify anything?? thanks

gtluke

yeah it will plug right in.
    did you get the throttle body with that intake? you need that too.

FEP User

Yeah i got the throttle body too. How much HP will the 89 intake make for me ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86gt
    Yeah i got the throttle body too. How much HP will the 89 intake make for me ? thanks
    It should help the car breath a little bit better at higher RPMs and gain a little top end HP.

After the intake and TB...your mani bottleneck will be the e6 heads

I m8 stock '88 intake laying around is anyone local to me (Boston) wants a similar upgrade. I may even have the stock throttle body too as i upgraded to a 65mm Explorer TB
    Mike
    -'88 Mustang LX 5.0L