Close

Thread: SVO Head

Default SVO Head

Id like to know if this 1985 Merkur XR4Ti head is compatible with my 1985.5 SVO. Any info would be helpful.
    Here is pic if the "D" shaped combustion chamber.
    Name:  20210426_175952.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  161.6 KB

On the intake side ( for cyl #1 and #2", there is the extra threaded hole for for the intake. This made me think that the head was not original to the XR4Ti but now I think that maybe the intake was not original.
    Name:  20210426_180241.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  169.3 KB
    I blew the head gasket on my 85.5 SVO. When I sent it to the machine shop to be decked and inspected we found that the head was actually cracked.
    Coincidentally, if not miraculously, there was an 85 Mercury Merkur XR4Ti in the junk yard. Knowing the turbo head was unique and that it might be useful or valuable down the road, I pulled the head from the XR4Ti a week ago (pictured obove).

I am hoping this is compatible. Any input appreciated.
    Thanks
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

Yes they are compatible. The extra bolt hole is no big deal.

Note that most of the head porters like Bo Port are working with the non-turbo heads these days since a good, uncracked turbo head is almost impossible to find.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

ccurtin-
    thanks. I'm hopeful this XR4Ti head is good. Don't know what ill do next if its not. Ill have it at the machine shop tomorrow.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

They always crack on the exhaust port side of the exhaust seat in cylinder 2. Pull the valves and I bet it's cracked also. However they seem to live a very long life even when cracked. I was 0 for 12 pulling heads but only 1 shoes any signs of water leakage and I could gety thumbnail into that crack. The reason they crack there in the first place is that the metal is too thick and doesn't transfer heat out quick enough

steve

FEP Senior Member

Question for you all. If there is a crack on the seats, can they be ground out and hardened seats installed or what are the options for us?

Patrick

Cant buy those things easily as in the past or as possible for newer cars.
    Must have been millions of 2.3 heads out there at one time.
    Where are they now?
    The off the shelf reconditioned ones for a spare or replacement.

Hard to find? Yep. Boport says in his eBay ad for a stage 3 head: "Please note there is an additional $299 core charge if you do not have a crack-free stock D port core to send in."

Boport Stage 3 Ported 2.3 Ford Turbo Head Roller Cam SVO Mustang ministock | eBay

Mike

FEP Senior Member

I was talking to one of the 2.3 suppliers and he said that they can usually rebuild the heads. It might need furnace welding but he’s been successful in his repairs.

Thoughts