Close

Default New to Four Eye Mustangs need help Identifying

Hi guys, I'm about to pick up my new 84 Mustang on Friday. Its the first 4 eye I've ever owned (current 2008, Previous 1990 and 2006)
    I'm buying a car from a gentleman's daughter as he passed away mid build. I was hoping you guys could help me identify the engine he put into it. His daughter said he was making a drag car. Any input would really help me out. The only thing she knows is it has all new internals, cam, longtube headers. Thank you guys for the help, I cant wait to get to work on her.

Name:  84stang.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  380.7 KB
    Last edited by CharlieT; 04-26-2021 at 05:58 AM.

Drag car, not likely
    Cam-singular
    Ditch the Edlebrock carb.
    As for the seller-see if she can find any files on the car at all, otherwise, suspect the lowest and cheapest of parts used (Edlebrock carb and $1.99 universal upper radiator hose being the "tell")

Just by looking do you have any idea what kind of motor it could be? Sorry I’m pretty ignorant to this stuff. I’m used to the 4.6 3 valves

What brand carbs are the better ones?

Based on the width of the engine it would appear to be either a 302 or possibly a 289. The alternator placement is defiantly NOT Fox Mustang.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with an Edelbrock carburetor. I have used one on several Ford V8's over the years with pretty good results. I have had better luck with Edelbrock than Holley in this regard, but I don't claim to be a Carburetor Whisper either. Edelbrocks have their quirks and issues just like any other, but in general are pretty reliable and work just fine. If building a true drag car or race car, then I would definitely go Holley over Edelbrock. Good Luck with the mystery and congrats on the new to you Four Eye!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller