Close

Default 1984 Mustang 5.0 - Replaced heater Core and now multiple inop dash accesories

Hello all. Replaced the heater core, and now multiple things arent working - the top motor, the fuel gauge, the radio, turn signals, the clock and the fuel door solenoid. The tach, blower motor, dash lights at bottom do function. I have checked fuses, and took long looks for unplugged harnesses but cannot find anything out of place. Can anyone suggest some ideas here?

Anyone have a wire diagram for the dash?

Thanks alot.

Odds are you missed a ground strap/wire. That makes more sense due to not everything being on the same power circuit.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Odds are you missed a ground strap/wire. That makes more sense due to not everything being on the same power circuit.
    Thanks. Does anyone know offhand where ground wires are located?

Quote Originally Posted by Atengnr View Post
    Anyone have a wire diagram for the dash?
    See the very top sticky in this forum.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdis...132-Electrical
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 04-27-2021 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    See the very top sticky in this forum.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdis...132-Electrical

Saw them indeed, but theyre dead links.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...6-in-PDF/page5

Check out post #105. Unfortunately the diagrams will generally not give you a specific location. The EVTM manual would be your best option for that information.

Here's an option https://www.ebay.com/itm/27376315000...gAAOSwHVdcjCrR
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

This isn't 5 Billion BC.
    Often, even yesterday is old outdated news.

Always, always, always, look for the LATEST information.

Also, fwiw, no, you can't buy an M2300K brake kit from Ford, to replace the worthless, death trap, pure cr*p brakes that came on 4-eyes.
    Heck, good luck even trying to buy brand new OEM calipers for an sn95, much less for a Fox.

If you're too lazy to read past the first post, you're in the wrong hobby.

Also, good point by wraithracing about also considering the EVTM manual.
    I've added that, and others, to the suggested search terms.

To the OP, if you search, and use the ebay search terms I suggested, you'll find stuff that will make you drool.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  246.4 KB

Then again, maybe your car isn't even worth a tank of gas, much less having invaluable documentation for properly fixing and maintaining your car?

Heck, maybe buy a new car, and have to BUY Tesla from Musk, just so that you could do basic service or troubleshooting?
    Or, how for a very long time, if someone needed to replace a caliper on a Prius, they had to go to a Toyota dealership to allow for the proper brake system bleeding.
    And, don't get me started on the European vehicles...

So, I don't have any sympathy for people that won't even spend the cost of a tank worth of gas, or month's worth of cable/cell fees for real documentation, or real scan tools.
    Imho, first spend/put your money where it counts the most.
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 04-27-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks alot. I pulled the covers off steering column and found that one of the connectors had slid due to past user breaking off the lock tab. With that reconnected, all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    This isn't 5 Billion BC.
    Often, even yesterday is old outdated news.

Always, always, always, look for the LATEST information.

Also, fwiw, no, you can't buy an M2300K brake kit from Ford, to replace the worthless, death trap, pure cr*p brakes that came on 4-eyes.
    Heck, good luck even trying to buy brand new OEM calipers for an sn95, much less for a Fox.

If you're too lazy to read past the first post, you're in the wrong hobby.

Also, good point by wraithracing about also considering the EVTM manual.
    I've added that, and others, to the suggested search terms.

To the OP, if you search, and use the ebay search terms I suggested, you'll find stuff that will make you drool.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  246.4 KB

Then again, maybe your car isn't even worth a tank of gas, much less having invaluable documentation for properly fixing and maintaining your car?

Heck, maybe buy a new car, and have to BUY Tesla from Musk, just so that you could do basic service or troubleshooting?
    Or, how for a very long time, if someone needed to replace a caliper on a Prius, they had to go to a Toyota dealership to allow for the proper brake system bleeding.
    And, don't get me started on the European vehicles...

So, I don't have any sympathy for people that won't even spend the cost of a tank worth of gas, or month's worth of cable/cell fees for real documentation, or real scan tools.
    Imho, first spend/put your money where it counts the most.
    I remember when I got my Mustang. It had lots of issues and I had no knowledge of how to begin to troubleshoot. I tried joining a few forums and found most to be hostile towards newbies to the point of simply ignoring inquiries, or downright nasty replies from experienced members. Then I found this forum and was thrilled to find a welcoming and helpful culture.

Since I joined this forum in 2012 I have seen only 2 nasty posts. One was directed at me maybe a year or two back, and now your nasty attack on a new member asking for help. Jeez dude, did someone piss in your corn flakes that day? I cant believe the moderators allowed that rudeness to stay up. I'm sure the OP didn't want to upset the apple cart by telling you what douche you are acting like, but I will.

You disparaged the guy who just finished changing a heater core. Having done 3 of them myself, I know its a huge task to even attempt. So the fact that this guy was able to complete that and only have 1 connecter left unplugged is is worthy of a thumbs up. Not the nasty barrage of insults you threw down on him.

If you don't have something constructive and useful to say, just keep your disdain for people you perceive to be not worthy of your greatness to yourself. It's a stain on an otherwise fantastic forum to do that and to allow it to be done.
    Last edited by fgross2006; 06-22-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Nasty replies are all but nonexistent on this forum. I suppose it helps to see one every once in a while, just to put things into perspective. 99.9% of the members here are awesome. Just ignore the handful of hostile posts.

To the OP, glad you got your issue sorted out easily!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4