Close

Default Hurst SVO style shifter questions

I recently came across this Hurst shifter on Facebook marketplace and I bought it cause it seemed like a good deal and I'm too broke to buy a brand new Hurst unit. It's similar to the SVO shifter but this one has the adjustable stops for 2nd and 3rd gear. Does anyone have any experience with these shifters? Does anyone know if I need to buy the Hurst dust cover that comes with their new shifters to complete the install? And does anyone know what size bolts are needed to attach the shifter stick to the shifter?Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  247.5 KB
    Last edited by Kid-With-A-Ford; 04-22-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Those are the first gen shifters, second gen has a much larger ring around the base.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

I am rocking one of those on my 1984 5.0 GT. I installed it in 1986 and it still works great. That was all there was back then.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

They're supposed to be rebuildable, but I think Hurst makes you send them to them and then it basically costs as much as a new one to have it rebuilt. If you are looking for a cheap option, the ebay/amazon short-throw shifters are really inexpensive and it worked just fine for me. I used it in my 98gt for a couple yrs and it was great. You just have to secure the shifter lever bolts better. Some use loctite but I just used slightly longer bolts with a nylon lock-nuts on the backside. I paid $25ish for it, but last I checked, LMR was selling the same shifter for around $70.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7210RS/1983...-Throw-Shifter
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20247587083...UAAOSwLKNbypJy
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I have one of those. Owned it since the mid 90s. It's been in 5 different cars and now resides in my 88 turbo coupe. I used a stock upper handle, which has very large holes for the rubber isolator. This allowed me to tilt the handle backwards a bit more.I used some flat washers and tightened it really tight and it's been that way since the 90s.
    I used the stock shift boot
    Just take the shifter to a hardware store like ace that has loose hardware and then you can find the correct bolt size