Close

Thread: Hard start

Default Hard start

Whats up

Besides my 85 GT, I have an 86 SVO that my brother was the original owner.

My problem is that when you turn the key the car starts but immediately shuts off. Once you do this about 4-5 times it will remain on and hold a consistent idol. The car sat for around 15 years and recently became a father son project. We have replaced fuel tanks, fuel pumps, fuel lines, injectors, battery, cables, plugs, distributor cap and a bunch of other parts for the suspension/brakes. You can hear the fuel pump engage.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to either test or where to troubleshoot? We just about have the car road worthy but want to resolve the cold start issues. ThanksName:  svodyl01c.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  48.3 KB

Have you checked the ignition switch. When mine was going bad it would start for a second than turn off. I did this cycle for 5 min and it eventually started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marchal View Post
    Have you checked the ignition switch. When mine was going bad it would start for a second than turn off. I did this cycle for 5 min and it eventually started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same issue on my 88. I finally figured out that I could leave a slight bit of pressure on the key with my thumb instead of letting the key spring back on its own and it would stay running. Seemed like a bit of a theft deterrent, so I left it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Thanks for responding. Yes, the ignition switch has been changed and did not see any difference

FWIW, when I got my 88 the ignition switch had completely fallen apart, so I replaced it with a new one. The new switch is the one with the issue described above.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4