Close

Default Sound deadening material

To those who have used sound deadening material what brand did you go with? I would like to do this to my Tbird. I will start with my trunk because it will be easier and get me familiar with how it works. What brand, price, easier to work with etc? Any tips or pointers appreciated also.
    Thank you, Ray

I used this from A-zon. It was easy to install and didnt have a weird smell to it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by ukravit; 04-21-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Getting ready to buy some also. So many options. My neighbor used Killmat. But has yet to finish the car. He said he researched it and like it for price point and reviews
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Kilmat, available through Amazon and much cheaper. Goes down like the expensive stuff.

Kenny

I used killmat in trunk and interior. Definitely did muffle some outside sounds but exhaust drone still gets into the car.

This thread shows pics of when I did my car several years ago. If a quieter interior is the goal, use Closed Cell Foam on top of the butyl mat. The butyl mat dampens some noise, it's main effect is the 'dampening' of the metal, the CCF will help to eliminate noise. I used Raamat from www.raamaudio.com. Great product, not sure if they are still in business as the site appears to be down.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...deadening-mats
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I used this stuff on my car. Cheaper than dynamat, boom mat and others. Same stuff. My brother gave me some left over dynamat and this stuff is pretty much the same.
    Name:  20210424_220930.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  462.0 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have used both the Quick Roof style products as well as the big names such as Dynamat. Yes they are all very similar and essentially do the same thing. The thickness (mils) of the product have the largest effect on sound dampening. As stated above the asphalt/butyl based products dampened the bare sheetmetal tinning (ringing) noise. The thicker the product the better the dampening. The closed cell foam products are designed to absorb the noise and or cancel sound waves again due to absorption or reducing the ability of the noise to bounce off of things. The two products together work very well depending on your needs.

My last two projects I used both the Siles and Noico brands of sound deadening. I didn't have issues with odors or smells with either. Both were 80 mils and went down without issues. I do recommend gloves when working with the aluminum foil versions as the aluminum is very thin and can be very sharp if not careful. I also used the Siles closed cell foam on the inside of door panels and over the entire door shell to help lower noise levels. All of this was done on my 86 Bronco and although not as quite as a new vehicle it did make a huge improvement in the interior sound level at all road speeds. I spent less than $200 for everything I installed and I covered the entire floor including the back area as well as up the rear quarters and over the wheel wells, inside both doors, above the headliner, and inside the tailgate. If you shop you can find the 36 sq ft box for around $55 shipped give or take a few dollars. Personally much better option than the roofing product for my needs. Covers more area quicker. The adhesive is much better, and the product is much thicker and better sound deadener.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My brother just gave me a big bag of left over carpet underlay. High quality and was not cheap. Would this help also to deaden sound if I put it over the quick roof stuff? Was thinking I'd use it on doors also.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    My brother just gave me a big bag of left over carpet underlay. High quality and was not cheap. Would this help also to deaden sound if I put it over the quick roof stuff? Was thinking I'd use it on doors also.
    If you are talking carpet padding, then I would say no. Depending on what the carpet underlayment is it might. Some of the new closed cell underlayment used for LVT flooring and Engineered wood flooring is pretty good. Most don't have an adhesive, so you will have to deal with that, but otherwise are good quality.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you are talking carpet padding, then I would say no. Depending on what the carpet underlayment is it might. Some of the new closed cell underlayment used for LVT flooring and Engineered wood flooring is pretty good. Most don't have an adhesive, so you will have to deal with that, but otherwise are good quality.
    Ok thanks, I figured it can't hurt it to put a extra layer down in certain spots even if it's only a slight improvement. It's got to be better than what ford used behind door panels etc.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Supporter

On top of using a hushmat equivalent product, I put foil backed jute pad down before the carpet. Hard to quantify the improvement but it has to be better than the little white diaper pads the factory put down over the exhaust area.

Just remember that any insulation added equals added weight.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Years ago, a guy tested a bunch of different products and published his findings - "Sound Deadener Shootout". Eventually he started his own business based upon his findings (now retired). Bottom line, the house insulation products smell and generally don't stick to vertical surfaces. The use of small squares (he called them "tiles") of butyle mat covering 75% of the resonant metal surfaces followed by a layer of Closed Cell Foam worked the best; the more/thicker, the better. But this stuff adds weight pretty quickly. So maybe a 50% Butyl covering with some Closed Cell foam in critical places would be adequate.

Edit: On my 86 I made the mistake of using some Thermo-Tech on the engine side of the firewall and down in the trans tunnel and out where the cats would be. The product says it can withstand ambient to 1400* and direct to 300* or so. Well, the stuff not only melted from the cat's exhaust heat, but caught fire. Obviously, only use this product inside the car.
    Last edited by qtrracer; 04-25-2021 at 04:57 PM.

I removed the interior carpet and replaced the factory insulation with Killmat 80mil and Noico RED 150 Insulation.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...on-Replacement

Last edited by radartek; 05-05-2021 at 10:13 AM.