Close

Default Alternator crooked

New member here! Beauteous looks great, hopefully I can gain some knowledge , and help out if needed, anyway, Bought a 84 mustang 5.0 vert for my father in law. Decent car. Not in possession of it yet but alternator is not in line with balancer and water pump. I’m not sure if a bracket is missing? I have some photos but probably won’t be of much help. Thanks kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a flat, triangular bracket between the lower alternator bolt area and the water pump bolts. This bracket will keep the belt tension from pulling it out of alignment.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210418-154626_eBay.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  245.4 KB
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 04-18-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Also, if you start backing out the lower bolt, you'll probably find that it's bent.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I looked at my 92 fox body and it has a tensioner and bracket like you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Also, if you start backing out the lower bolt, you'll probably find that it's bent.
    Thank you for taking the time...
    Are those brackets common for sale in message boards, I would hate to spend 100 bucks on a bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevnic View Post
    Thank you for taking the time...
    Are those brackets common for sale in message boards, I would hate to spend 100 bucks on a bracket.

That screenshot I posted was from eBay. The alternator kit is $33(ish) shipped. I have used the March kit and the generic version and other than the finish being a little nicer on the March kit, they both worked fine.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Also, that funny looking little bracket should be bolted to the upper mount on the alternator. The tensioner then bolts to the other hole in the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Also, that funny looking little bracket should be bolted to the upper mount on the alternator. The tensioner then bolts to the other hole in the bracket.
    Good catch. Yes, the big bracket will put the alternator in a slightly different location, requiring that small offset bracket and a different belt.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Thank you very much for the replies. I will pick up one of those brackets. Also, a little off topic, but the shifter in the car(console auto) has a little black plastic piece that functions like a accordion, it is fully extended in park, and in low or 1, it is fully compact, or retracted. I’m assuming they break all the time due to being brittle. Is there anywhere I can find this piece, or do people just put a little seal in there to take up the space? Thanks Kevin

I can't really help you on that one. I did a quick search on LMR's site and it looks like they only carry the similar piece for the manual shifter. I'm presuming they're different, but it's been a while since I've even looked at an auto car. I have an auto sitting in the garage, but the drivetrain is out and smaller parts are stored away. I will say that, if the part isn't reproduced, you shouldn't have trouble finding a good used one. Lot's of the auto cars get swapped to manual, so the spare parts are fairly easy to come by.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd