Close

Thread: Socket sizes

Default Socket sizes

I’ve been looking for new socket sets, and I’m down to metric deep well. Problem is, I hate skipped sizes. I have an ocd-like compulsion to fill my socket organizers. Why is it that most sets skip the 20mm? Is it rarely used? I personally have never come across a 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tony

FEP Supporter

I just checked my metric wrench set that goes from 6mm to 24mm and there is no 20 or 23mm in the set.

Doing the math puts those two sizes right under 13/16” and 15/16”. Maybe those would be used for those sizes?

Or like you said maybe there are no 20 or 23 used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

For 3/8” drive, I have deep and shallow from 1/4” to 1”, and metric 6mm to 20mm with no skipped sizes.
    1/2” drive I have a metric deep impact set that does skip some sizes. Never really needed them I guess.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

20mm is not a common size, but I have used one on more than one occasion. Same for 23mm. Unfortunately many of the "NON Professional" socket/wrench sets do skip sizes to "save money". Professional tools such as Snap On, Mac Tools, Cornwell, etc. will have those sizes, but even those brands will at times skip infrequently used sizes to lower the cost of a set.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bought a set of metric wrenches one time 6mm to 17mm and it did not come with a 16mm......!?!

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Tekton has 'no-skip' socket sets. They also offer free shipping and 10% credit towards your next order. Sockets & Socket Sets | TEKTON® | Free Shipping