Close

Default Show me your aftermarket gauge cluster

I can decide if I should go with something like Dakota Digital/New Vintage clusters or use a gauge panel and go with Autometer/Speedhut type gauges?

Depends on what really excites you. Just put a Dakota Digital VHX into my 86 Bronco. Really liked the setup, how well it works, and ease of install. If I liked the looks of their offerings for the Fox, I would go that route after the Bronco experience. Not a huge fan of the style the offer. I like the New Vintage and have considered it. I also like the Speedhut gauges too.

Going with Autometer/Speedhut, etc. will require a bit more work on your behalf. Gives you plenty of options, but most likely more fab work for you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I went with Autometer gauges set into the stock cluster. FWIW, the cost of the gauges and time/effort to install/wire them exceeds the cost of the Dakota option.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I went with Autometer gauges set into the stock cluster. FWIW, the cost of the gauges and time/effort to install/wire them exceeds the cost of the Dakota option.
    Great info, thanks.
    I often wondered this ^^^
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Curious if anyone can explain how hard it was to install some of the aftermarket gauges. I read the ads for some of the digital clusters and it seemed quite a bit more complex than you’d honk to get everything hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Stang View Post
    Curious if anyone can explain how hard it was to install some of the aftermarket gauges. I read the ads for some of the digital clusters and it seemed quite a bit more complex than you’d honk to get everything hooked up.
    I can't speak to aftermarket gauges in the Mustang, other than some in the center console and on the A pillar pod over the years. I can say installing the Dakota Digital VHX in my 86 Bronco was not a difficult task, but it was lengthy and involved. That system supplied their own coolant temp and oil pressure sending units, so that included the wiring back to the "brain box" for those. The speedometer, I was able to use the OEM speed sensor and tap into those wires. The fuel sending unit, I cut the OEM wiring and spliced into that (although they tell you to run the wires back to the tank specifically, that's a major PITA for a Bronco). The voltmeter used an ignition only power wire. The dash lighting, the turn signals, check engine light, hi beam indicator, 4x4 indicator, Parking brake indicator, etc. took time to verify not only the correct wires, but if they are ground switched or power switched. As with so many things the more comfortable you are with automotive wiring will determine if this is torture or a fun exercise. Personally I am not a huge fan of electrical wiring, so not my favorite way to pass the time, but overall it was tolerable and only took most of the weekend to get everything sorted out and wrapped up to my satisfaction. Oh I do have to mention that I did also add an electronic shift pattern indicator to get rid of the non functional cable operated on on the steering column. So I did have additional wiring for that to deal with also. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Name:  1020B111-CE74-418B-9EA5-BC109553CC23.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  113.4 KB

Wow
    That looks amazing!
    Thanks for the pic!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

That looks so killer

Last edited by racerxmd; 06-12-2021 at 03:22 PM.