Close

Default 83 GLX Convertible - General Tech Help Needed!

Starting some refresh work on my new to me 83 GLX Convertible, and I have a couple of questions:

- What is the size of the star-shaped bit needed to remove the front seat seat belt receiver (female end, mounted on transmission tunnel by the console)? I have to buy a bit to be able to remove and replace the broken plastic sleeve, and need to know what size to get.

- What is the trick to removing the factory auto shift T-handle? I was told to push in the thumb button and pull up on the T handle, and it would pop right off. Not so much; it doesn't budge even a little bit. Not sure what I am doing wrong but could use some advice here.

Thanks in advance.

FEP Power Member

The torx bit is size 47 or 50. I have both and used 47 last week.
    The shifter handle just pulls off but it’s not easy. Push in the button and hold it so the spring does not go flying. Grab it with one hand and hit upward with the other. Some say to slide a sleeve up along the handle but that’s not in the Ford book.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The torx bit is size 47 or 50. I have both and used 47 last week.
    The shifter handle just pulls off but it’s not easy. Push in the button and hold it so the spring does not go flying. Grab it with one hand and hit upward with the other. Some say to slide a sleeve up along the handle but that’s not in the Ford book.
    Thanks for the torx bit size; I will try the 47 first.

Boy, this shift handle is not budging...

One more question - the cig lighter wasn't working; replaced that whole drop-in piece in the console (due to a crease in the prior piece) and the new cig lighter isn't working either. Confirmed the lead is firmly attached and the other wire is properly clipped in. What else could be the issue?

FEP Power Member

Check for power and or check the fuse for the lighter.

Cig lighter issue resolved, and 47 was exactly the correct size for the torx on the seat belt; thanks very much.

Shift handle is still not budging. My college age weightlifter son can't even get it to move. Seems like it is being held by superglue. Any other ideas as to how to get this thing off?

Default may have set screw?

79 shop manual shows a set screw 383870-S100 attaching the t-handle to the lever.
    Button side of handle
    16-20 inch pounds

85 shop manual shows no set screw- says pull abruptly upward in Neutral position.
    31.5# to push knob back onto lever
    No mention about pushing button in either case. There is a spring in there.

Unknown what year the change was made.

No set screw; definitely the "pull abruptly upward" style. It took two of us (one pressing in the thumb button about half way and one banging upward on the bottom of the T-shift with a rubber mallet), but we finally got it off. Putting on the replacement wasn't an easy task either...!!

Late to reading this thread. I have an 85 GT vert with broken plastic seatbelt sleeves, too. I got a hold of the torx bit but can't remove the bolt with the seat all the way forward on the track. Did you remove the seats to get at the tranny side bolts? If so, is there an easy way to do it?

FEP Power Member

I have changed the inboard seat belt sleeves with the seat in place on my 84 and 85. The outboard sleeves do need to be trimmed on the vert.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I have changed the inboard seat belt sleeves with the seat in place on my 84 and 85. The outboard sleeves do need to be trimmed on the vert.
    I guess my question is: how? I moved seat as far forward as it would go but rear seat back pivot point is blocking access to inboard seatbelt bolt. No room to fit torx bit and rachet onto the bolt head.

4 bolts and the seat is out. Might be the quickest answer...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by tundratiger67 View Post
    Late to reading this thread. I have an 85 GT vert with broken plastic seatbelt sleeves, too. I got a hold of the torx bit but can't remove the bolt with the seat all the way forward on the track. Did you remove the seats to get at the tranny side bolts? If so, is there an easy way to do it?
    No, I didn’t have to remove the seats; just moved all the way forward and had plenty of room to get the bit and wrench on the bolt.

Okay. Thanks. I have the leather articulated seats and they just don't move up enough to clear the bolt. I guess I'll have to remove the seat as gt4494 suggests. Was hoping it would be a simpler task.