Close

Default Catch Can / Oil separator Info

Looking to install a BBK (or similar) oil separator on my '83 5.0L with Holley Sniper EFI.

Currently, the PCV on passenger side valve cover is plumed into the air cleaner assembly. I can't imagine there's enough vacuum there to operate the PCV correctly.

I want to run a closed PCV system, to minimize fumes... and run the catch can to keep the any oil (other than vapors) out of the intake.

Question here is: the Holley Sniper is a speed density setup - MAP sensor, not MAF sensor. Is it ok to run the return from the catch can to the intake manifold, bypassing the MAP? I'd imagine hooking the PCV to the vacuum on the intake manifold would make more sense than on the air cleaner assembly. I just don't know if the unmetered air would cause any issues with the MAP sensor.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a newb with engine related stuff. I'm also trying to fix up some shotty things that were previously done on my Fox.

You use the 1980-1985 CFI 5.0 Motorcraft PCV with the purge canister F peg tee. That is basically the 2 or 4bbl air cleaner? With a regulated diversion. I'll supply the part number and link later if no one else dose it first.

Motorcraft HV 89 PCV and two leg Tee

Https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...LnXQ<br /> OM

Cale and JA Cook discuss the purge emissions and carbon canister really hooking for Carb vehicles. For CFI, you have to copy the 1984.5 to 1985 HO CFI VECI.

Or OF0's tank purge with Pulse Width Purge Valve jumper.

No purge canister or CFI in my setup. I'll run the PCV to the intake side so it gets more vacuum than the current line to the airbox. If the EFI has difficulty maintaining idle or AFR, I'll try a metered PCV valve.

Rodger that. Do check Cale and JA Cook and OF0 CBRs posts here even so.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Gas-tank-vent.

An ME Wagner balanced PCV can stop oil through and act as an oil separator.

There is a turbo EFI 2.3 catch cam system for really high crank case CFM's. The blow by and aerated or atomized droplets of oil bound to water vapour is able to do damage. If it is temperature purged through activated carbon with set warm and over night cooling cycles, the two peg PCV valve and Purge system with delay valve is really simple and works.

The Sniper can copy most of the CFI systems and work well with them. Good fortune finding the right system for your ride.

Thanks for the link

I was going to try and repatch pictures from My link to another forum.

Will Ambler from Ambler Race as well as Mustang Geezer form Ford Six had massive problems with big carb, big cam 3.3 liter sixes with an extension hose was used on an unbaffled PCV valve.

The simple Ist solution was to find the right PCV.

For Will Ambler, just a hose extension on the PCV grommet did the trick.

For (and this is not a commercial) 70 to 120 bucks, an extended HiPo Tek can buffer blow by, and an ME Wagener PCV can alter the part throttle and idle flow.

FrenchTown Flyer is a Ford 4.9 liter six racer, and he uses a conventional kind of PCV, but has experience with Modular Fords as well as 5.0 CFi and 4 BBL and Port EFi development engines.

His advice...the best there is in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The FrenchTownFlyer

"https://fordsix.com/threads/no-pcv.43771/"
    You must have a PCV valve if you are going to route crankcase fumes into the intake. The valve acts as a metering device so that at small throttle openings (and high vacuum) there is minimal flow through the valve, and at large throttle openings (low vacuum and high blow-by) there is virtually unrestricted flow through the PCV. If yours does not have one try a Motorcraft # EV-98.

I highly recommend a PCV valve for all street-driven engines.

All the great pictures have died so I'm only recopying some of them over here.