Close

Default T5 reverse idler spring needed.

I'm in the process of replacing a cracked T5 main case with a used one and have found that the used one is an older one that used the extension style reverse idler return spring, while the one I'm replacing used the newer torsion style spring.

I can't swap over the torsion spring to the older case as there is no tab inside the case to hook the spring onto. What I need is the old style extension spring but I can't find one. All my searches keep coming up with the torsion style spring.

It would help if I knew the part number of the extension spring but every diagram I can find just has a reference number not the actual part number.

I'm looking for part #102 in this diagram:

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I might
    Give me a little bit to check and I'll let you know
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

dunno if this helps but did find some similar maybe you seen this one too.
    checked few parts diagrams
    E3ZZ-7K205-A. SHIFT RAIL SPRING WC t5
    same p/n for non wc

maybe a trans shop has one laying around from parting out or know a source or can get one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36293563149...yABEgKuhPD_BwE

https://www.superformance.com.au/ass...0Catalogue.pdf
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Thanks guys. I think we've found a way around the problem, which I'll explain in case anyone is interested, but first I'd like to say:

Ethyl Cat - I don't want to put you to any trouble as I think we can get away without it.

gr79 - Yep, that is the part in question. My search skills must need work as I could not find a diagram that included the actual part number.

Just in case you're interested here's the long version of our problem.

January 3,2020 my son bought a '67 Mustang roller. It was completely stripped but most of the parts were in boxes minus engine and transmission. This thing was amazingly rust free though. For the past 15 months he's put in countless hours and a ton of money to get it where it is today, almost finished. It's roadworthy but lacks a few interior pieces which are on the way.

I had a 351W and a spare T5 sitting around from my racing days so I donated them to his project. It turned out that the T5 had a slight leak which he finds unacceptable so he pulled it out for inspection. We found a hairline crack at the top of the fill plug boss and thought that was the source, so he bought another used main case and I told him I'd change it out since I was familiar with the T5 innards having torn lots of them up racing.

His case is a later one with the torsion spring on the reverse idler fork, but the case he bought does not have the stud in it for that spring being an earlier one that used an extension spring for that duty. I thought all I had to do was get the extension spring and use that instead of the torsion spring.

In my search for info I ran across Stan from Pro-force performance and had a long conversation with him. I've never talked to anybody who knew as much about T5's as he does. He told me it's not so simple as changing the spring, I'd also need to change the shift fork and arm that move it. He did offer to set me up with the parts I need, but as it's my son's car it's his call.

As I got his transmission disassembled I noticed that the hairline crack we saw didn't run all the way to the inside of the case. I think if he puts some thread sealer on the fill plug and doesn't overtighten it there won't be a leak there. What I did find was that the front countershaft bearing race O-ring was damaged. I think that was the source of the leak. I'm going to replace that O-ring and put a little RTV around the race when I re-install it and I think the problem will be solved. If it's not it won't take much to pull the transmission again and then we'll have to either find another late model case with provision for the torsion spring or get the three parts to convert to extension spring on the reverse idler fork.

Here's a couple pics of his car as it sits right now. He did everything himself including the paint.

408/T5/3.73's

Love that 67! He did a great job! Should be lots of fun with the 351w and t5!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I forgot to ask. What clutch/pedal setup? Hydraulic?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I forgot to ask. What clutch/pedal setup? Hydraulic?
    It has been converted to a cable operated clutch, very similar to what I have in my '85. It also now has power front disc brakes and I think he bought a kit that included a new pedal set to convert the clutch/brake linkages over. It does still use the mechanical linkage for the carb rather than a cable though.

At some point we need to take some measurements to see if a Maximum Motorsports clutch cable will work as the cable he got with the kit isn't on par with what MM offers.
    408/T5/3.73's

That is a good looking car.

FEP Member

Getting the crack welded now might be a good idea. A crack is a weak spot in the transmission case, and it's not going to heal itself.