Close

Default Retrofit charcoal canister on a 85gt

I’ve been fighting the gassy smell in my gt for years. At some point my father had the cats cut out and straight pipes. H pipe installed. And dual dynomax mufflers. He also ditched the heat risers from the intake and the cap off the smog pump and back of the heads. It all added to the problem.

I’ve ordered a new Bassani exhaust w x pipe and cats. Dual mufflers and 3” tails. I’m thinking about doing a Sniper swap to be sure and kill the smell. But I also realize the fuel tank also has a valve for pressure which normally shoots periodically that vapor into the charcoal canister and I believe eventually into the engine.

But since my stock smog pump has been cut up, capped off, and who knows what else, I’m thinking about ordering a new canister from LMR. I believe they come from the later 80s stands so it will be a bit of a figure it out install. But if I can run new lines from the gas tank to a new charcoal canister, can I in some way or another get the fuel tank vapors killed so they don’t reach the interior?

Thanks for the help
    Joe E.

FEP Power Member

Check the filler pipe seal at the gas tank.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yes you can, Search the form for the pages on just that.
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND