Close

Default subframe connector labor costs

How much do shops generally charge to install subframe connectors? I'm around the seattle-everett area

Depends on the shop, their experience with installing SFC, and the brand of SFC. I only use the full length Maximum Motorsport SFC and after having done several sets, I am pretty familiar with how they install. Most cars will require 2hrs per side minimum. If the car has any issues such as previous crash damage or damage due to improper jacking on the frame rails that can easily add hours to the job. So honestly its not unusual for a quality install to take 6 hours for a set of MM full length SFC. Then multiply that times the shop rate and that will get you in the ball park. Could be a bit more or slightly less again depending on the car, the skill and knowledge of the shop. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Check out the Mustang Shop in Kent. I am sure they could give you a well thought out estimate

Home | tms-performance
    "V/I is Futile"
    ---------------------
    1982 Capri RS 5.0
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    2014 Mustang GT 5.0

FEP Senior Member

Let us know what you find. I read about a lot of people that drop their car off at a random exhaust shop with a 6 pack of beer on the front seat and 15 minutes later their SFC's are expertly welded in, but I don't know if I would trust that. I'm normally a DIYer on everything car related, but this just isn't something I would want to mess with. I asked at a local machine shop that was doing some work for me and they pointed me to a trustworthy shop. Ask around with other car guys or repair/machine shops and see what they have to say. I'm sure it will cost more than I want it to to have them installed on my car, but this isn't really something I want to try to save a buck on.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

"I read about a lot of people that drop their car off at a random exhaust shop with a 6 pack of beer on the front seat and 15 minutes later their SFC's are expertly welded in...." and right after that, five Playboy centerfolds came over and hung out with the car owner just to make him feel good while he waited.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Member

What shop is this? Sounds like my kind of place��

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    "I read about a lot of people that drop their car off at a random exhaust shop with a 6 pack of beer on the front seat and 15 minutes later their SFC's are expertly welded in...." and right after that, five Playboy centerfolds came over and hung out with the car owner just to make him feel good while he waited.
    I actually LOL when read this!!!!!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    It is funny, but true. Do a search on Mustang boards and you'll find all kinds of guys that just paid an exhaust shop $50 to weld their SFC's in. Then you'll get the group that bristles at the thought of paying over $100 to have somebody do it for them. I'm not saying I would do it or that the work they had done was even good, but there are apparently a lot of people that do it this way.

I'm not one to overpay for stuff, but I'm also willing to pay for quality when it is warranted. This is one of those times that I feel it is warranted.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Years ago, I had some KB SFC with matrix and jacking rails welded on my 01 Cobra vert. I think that was $300 or so because of the complications of the matrix system.

FEP Member

I just bought a set myself.didn’t realize I was in for such a hard time.I have just standard length.I’ve got prices as high as 350.and as low as a couple hundred.most places I’ve called just blow you off the phone around here.one guy wanted my complete interior out..then I told him I sound deadened the entire car and he growled and said no way.

The other issue is they should be installed when car is on a drive on rack, so the cars weight is on the wheels. Before taking to a shop I would also mock fit them and maybe clean the paint off where they are too be welded. would think if all that is done maybe a hour or two for labor. But that is my GUESS
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

FEP Senior Member

Keep in mind that installation costs are going to vary wildly depending on location as well. Some guy in the middle of Kansas probably won't pay as much as somebody in L.A. and they will pay less than somebody in Canada where apparently all automotive skilled labor is 4X as expensive.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I pass when run of the mill shops quote high prices on special repairs, like a down pipe, without even looking at the car.
    Mine are Ford Motorsport bolt on. Did them myself.
    Used floor jacks to snug each side all the way up to floor pan subs. Marked the holes, drilled, bolted up.
    Can't tell by driving feel if welding and all the other stuff would have made a huge difference.
    Sure made the car ride noticeably more solid. Done in 2004. After 100k, they have not moved.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-09-2021 at 05:31 PM.