Close

Default 85 mustang gt oil smells like gas

Hi I changed my engine oil and I noticed that my oil smells like gas. It’s not flammable so it’s probably not much. It is running a little rich so that might be the issue? I have a Holley avenger 670cfm could it be my floats? The gas is in the middle of the site glass

Thanks

Check the floats for sure. If they are not shutting off fuel flow when the bowls are full you get gas in the oil.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Senior Member

if your 85 is a car with a carb. the fuel pump can have an internal leak that will put gas in your oil. stock 85 with a clutch has a mechanical fuel pump, the automatics do not.

FEP Senior Member

Fuel level is too high. It should be at the bottom of the sight glass, level with the bottom of the hole. This won't cause the fuel smell in the oil. Fuel boiling will over flow the fuel from the bowls, but if that happens, it will flood the engine and be hard to start.