Close

Default Turbo information/cooling tubes information Help

Hi all so we my son and I would like to clean up Engine bay also upgrade the turbo. With the new turbo tech that is out now we would like to remove the stock turbo go to a NEW not water cooled unit also plug of the oil warmer on the oil filter . seen a few different options for this Cooling pipe mod but looking for advice from the forum incase we are missing anything. The turbo we have a connection but need a decision on what to go with . We want a New unit that will work with the stock set up but are going with stinger down pipe and exhaust No header factory manifold . Also I have to keep in mind in future we may add 86 svo ecm and brown top injector and a bigger vam already have them but slow steps walk before we run. So is there a go to turbo for this Type of mod ? or any to stay away from?
    Again thanks for all advise we are new to the turbo stuff.

First it will be helpful to know what year and model vehicle you are working on. There are differences between the Turbo Mustang/Capri and the SVO that can affect the decisions and information. I assume its not a SVO since you are discussing adding the SVO ECM.

Stinger is an excellent source for Turbo parts and information. Nothing wrong with considering a newer Turbo model, but understand that few if any will be a direct bolt and will almost always require modifications in some manner.

Personally I would recommend having the stock turbo rebuilt by a qualified shop, then get the car running and driving in the stock setup and plan your mods according based upon what changes you think the setup needs for better performance. It will be easier to make sure everything is functioning properly in stock configuration than throwing a bunch of parts at it and then trying to sort it out.

The 85.5/86 SVO PE ECM is an excellent choice, but many will actually swap in the LA2, LB2 computers since they are a better processors and provide the same benefits as the PE. Obviously the PiMP ECM from Stinger is an even better option if you plan on making big changes to your setup, but not a cheap option at @$1200 after you buy the ECM, license, tuning stuff, etc.

I don't have any direct experience with this company or products, but I have considered adding this setup to my 84 SVO as an option. Might be worth looking into. They offer an exhaust manifold, blow off valve setup and replacement turbo. Good Luck!

https://gnari.com/products/cast-iron...bocharged-2-3l
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hi it's 84GT 350 5SP It runs fine We are looking at getting rid of the Cooling tubes the stock turbo is fine. But the water lines from oil filter all around the engine bay need to go. New tech turbos have better quality bearing and such We have a family member who can get us anything we want turbo wise. We are looking to do make changes for upgraded tech and do not require all the metal lines. The ECM and injectors are down the line and probably the turbo as well. Our current goal is to change the stock exhaust to a 3in single system all the way back removing the stock cat converter it is coming apart and we are not required to have it.
    That being said we don't want to change exhaust and then have to change it again down rd trying to go in steps moving it forward not backwards wasting cash.
    The end goal is to get it to like 300 hp in a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The latest turbos, ECMs, injectors, etc. definitely are improvements over the tech available in 1984. The biggest issue most likely in regards to turbo upgrades will be sticking with the stock exhaust manifold. That will limit your options, doesn't mean you can't still get a better turbo, but you will be limited in what will fit the manifold.

You probably will want to consider swapping your current manifold for the E6 OEM manifold. The earlier models were prone to cracking and the E6 is a better option if you want to stay with the stock type setup. Otherwise it might be worth considering either the manifold I linked to above or an aftermarket header that will open up your turbo options. You definitely want to determine your manifold/header and turbo setup before purchasing your downpipe otherwise you might have to modify or make a change at a later date. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Both the stock E3 and later E6 use a standard T3 flange so an aftermarket turbo shouldn't be an issue.

For the ECU many people swap to the later L* series used in the 87/8 TurboCoupes. They have faster processors in them and more memory. All of the P* and L* EECs can be tuned using a twEECer or QuarterHorse if you plan on modifying the engine.

steve

I have a question has anyone used a New Eec from a parts store? I was looking at the used 88 t bird eec and looking for an 85.5 svo. The ones I find are obvious old. But I find they are still available from parts stores New with a core. I am looking on a better and faster eec for our 84 GT350 Anniversary Turbo four eye. Looking for forums opinions
    Pro Cons. Thanks.

If necessary, I would not hesitate to purchase the BSE EM617 from rockauto to replace the LA3 I currently run in my Fairmont should it die (and the spare be bad).

Mike

Thanks 4 barrel Mike yes on the Rockauto . I am just looking to upgrade the 84 GT350 Anniversary turbo with a better one and I have a set of the brown top injectors. Just small steps forward.

FEP Senior Member

I tried to rebuild my factory turbo but it was expensive than a new one. I purchased this one from boport.

https://www.bo-port.com/index.php?ac...d&productId=70

I haven’t used the turbo yet but seems like a good replacement. Call boport to ask what he recommends based on your plans.