Close

Default 83 GLX Convertible - Originality Questions

Hello, working on a resto of an 83 GLX Convertible, and I have a few questions for which the expertise of the members of this forum would be greatly appreciated!

What is the correct color for the twin stripes in the body side moldings - gray or white? The color of the car is medium red.

What is the trick for removing the automatic transmission shift T-handle from the shaft? With the first and second generation Mustangs there was an allen-type set screw in the front, but I don't see one here.

Is there supposed to be a decal of some sort on the air cleaner for the 3.8L V6 engine? Pic of illegible decal of some kind on my air cleaner is below.
    Attachment 135307

Should there be some type of cover panel covering the tail light access at the rear of the trunk?
    Attachment 135308

Finally, at some point I saw a pic of a hood of an 83 or 84 Mustang with a pinstripe that ran from the front of the hood along the edges of the slightly raised part of the hood in the center and along the back of the hood by the cowl. If anyone has a pic of one, pls post.

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Inset stripes in the bodyside molding was dependent on the body paint color and the the interior trim color. There were four inset stripe colors total. Exterior paint color Red (24) actually only had one inset stripe color for all three interior trim colors available. The inset stripe color was "Argent".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Inset stripes in the bodyside molding was dependent on the body paint color and the the interior trim color. There were four inset stripe colors total. Exterior paint color Red (24) actually only had one inset stripe color for all three interior trim colors available. The inset stripe color was "Argent".
    Very helpful; thanks very much!

Air cleaner is plain, no stickers (that is a 3.8 V-6 correct?).

Kenny

Default 83 GLX Convertible - Originality Questions

No decal on the aircleaner,

There is no trim panel in the trunk.

Would love to see pics of the ‘83
    I have a ‘83 GLX convertible and so does my dad.
    My dads is a two owner car, he bought it from the original owner in 1991 but he saw the car the day the original owner bought it so we have a lot of history on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome to look at the photos of my '83 GLX in the photo album on my profile. It is all original, but the exterior is Polar White with Red pinstriping and a Medium Red interior. For our year car, there are no trim panels for the rear or sides of the trunk, but I've been told that the trim panels for later years will fit.

As for the auto shift handle, from what I've read on the forum, you're supposed to press the selector button and pull straight up in order to remove the handle. I'll be trying this out soon, but my car is currently in the shop for some maintenance. Once I get it back, if there's anything that you need photos of, I'll do my best to help out.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thanks to all for the responses; very helpful! Two follow-up questions:

- What are the "later years" that have the trim panels for the sides and rear of the trunk?
    - Can I swap out the 83 tail lights for 79-82 style tail lights without any modifications?
    Last edited by Cokeologist; 04-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.

I’m not sure when they started putting carpet in the truck but my ‘88 and ‘92 both had trunk carpet but my ‘83 does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No on the second question
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

No on the second question
    Thanks; what is involved in making them fit?

Swapping the taillight panel (the metal part the taillights bolt to) and the wiring harness.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    - What are the "later years" that have the trim panels for the sides and rear of the trunk?
    I pulled the three pieces from an 89 coupe and tried them in our 79. It did not fit all of the contours and notches for the 79 plus no retainer holes to fasten to.

I ended up not using it but believe it could be made to look okay.

Both of our 79's have the carpet in them. One is base one is Ghia.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I pulled the three pieces from an 89 coupe and tried them in our 79. It did not fit all of the contours and notches for the 79 plus no retainer holes to fasten to.

I ended up not using it but believe it could be made to look okay.

Thanks; I will make a wanted post to see if anyone has these available, and will give this a try.

Swapping the taillight panel (the metal part the taillights bolt to) and the wiring harness.
    Got it; thanks for the info. I prefer the look of the 79-82 tail lights, but not so much as to modify the originality of the tail light panel to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    Thanks; I will make a wanted post to see if anyone has these available, and will give this a try.
    You have to search eBay fairly regularly for them. That's how I found mine. Make sure that you search for the convertible trunk pieces and also buy a bag of mounting clips.

Here's the rear panel piece: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Trunk-...edirect=mobile
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible