Close

Default Scott Rob or similar dash. Who has them?

For years I've been thinking about putting a sheet metal dash in my car, and I think the time has come when I may actually do it. I did a little searching and found this thread from 7 years ago:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?163019-Scott-Rod-Dash-Installed-Pics

I do like the looks of that dash and wondered if any members have used that one or similar, if there are others making something like that. My dash right now is super beat up so it's not like I'd be tearing up anything nice to make the change. At present my 5" tach sits on top of the dash soon to be accompanied by my new A/F gauge, and I have a row of switches where the radio sat at one time, plus I have a trio of gauges mounted over above the glovebox that are hard to see from the drivers seat. All my gauges are Autometer, so I can buy a 5" electronic speedo that matches everything else and install them all where they should be, in front of the driver.

Here's my present setup:

Thoughts?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I have no personal experience with any of the metal nor fiberglass dash replacements, so I can't help there.

I have considered the fiberglass option from VFN for a future project, but haven't gotten to that just yet. https://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7986mustang.htm

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for pointing out that option. One reason I started this thread was to pick some brains about other options I might not be aware of.
    408/T5/3.73's

Does the windshield need to be removed to rivet in these aftermarket dashboards? Those rivets look awful close lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Why not a fiberglass dash like this:

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7986mustang.htm

Quote Originally Posted by racerxmd View Post
    Why not a fiberglass dash like this:

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/7986mustang.htm
    Hmm if only someone had posted about that before . . . Maybe in post #2!

Great minds think alike right!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hahaha
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I hadn't even thought about a fiberglass dash, so that's another option. Which is why I started this thread, to get ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Does the windshield need to be removed to rivet in these aftermarket dashboards? Those rivets look awful close lol
    That does look like a problem and I have no intention of removing the windshield. I'd probably use screws instead of rivets so it would be easier to remove if I wanted to work on the wiring at some future date. I'd do almost anything to avoid having to lay on my back working under a dash. Perhaps with screws an offset screwdriver would work.

I'm leaning towards the two piece metal dash at this point but I'm not in a hurry to decide.
    408/T5/3.73's

Maybe they get riveted from underneath?