Close

FEP Member

Default Replacement alternator

What does everyone run for a stock,or slightly stock amperage alternator.I do have a stereo with a amp,but nothing crazy.don’t want to spend 300 to upgrade to a 130 amp.where should I get one from? Local parts store? Like autozone ?

I’m running a 3g from a 95 mustang, 130a. Brand new Bosch from Rockauto and the plug you need is like $25 from LMR. It is worth every penny to upgrade to the 130a, you even get brighter headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Same thing here fog lights, stereo, 4ch amp no a/c, power seats, windows, etc.
    Used to do a lot of night driving to work. Wanted a little more reserve.
    Have larger than stock battery. Biggest one that would fit.
    In the 80's, took out the little 40a and installed the large 1G series, 70a.
    Mainly because i worked at an auto parts store that rebuilt starters and alternators. Got a super deal brand new.
    70 amps work well here with stock wiring and external regulator and charges a low battery pretty quickly.
    Sometimes i like to sit parked wherever and listen to fm music loud until multiple station song programming sucks.
    Have done an hour with no restart to charge. I go by the added volt gauge reading as to when to quit.
    My opinion is anything over 100 amps is overkill for a few extra electrical loads.

The connectors on the larger alternator were different but was easy to do.
    Swapped the pulley and needed a different belt size to reach out another inch or so.
    Also changed the alt bracket for more adjustment, clearance for ps pump, and support.
    Back then, electrical loads and high amp alternators were not as common as today.

Other options, like newer internal regulator versions, involve more changes.
    https://alternatorparts.com/ford-typ...ternators.html
    Make sure any replacement is clocked correctly or the wires won't reach.
    If going 3G, get a case that matches mounting and adjustment type for your year.

Picked up an new large 1G spare from a swap meet for 20.00 in 2003. Finally needed it in 2015.
    Will have the former one rebuilt maybe to 100a or go with a now available small hi amp 1G.

Have the newer style in the Ranger. Has A/C. The housings have so many cooling fins the casings crack.
    When they crack they have low output for a while (the warning) and then quit.
    Has happened several times. Finally bought a new lifetime Remy Gold 95a overpriced one from Advance for 155.
    It is just ok nothing special. 95 is the stock amp rating for that year. That alternator is not fun to change out.

If you buy new, should be no core charge, tax or core return. Box stores can be overpriced. That is their way.
    Check local box auto stores, rebuilders, or online like Rock Auto.
    A salvage yard 30.00 deal is hit and miss unless the alternator obviously looks recent. Have seen that.