Close

Default Where are you guys mounting aftermarket front speakers?

So, I sold this crazy custom box the original owner custom made with two big subs, two big speakers on top with individual tweeters and it had two amps, a Rockford Fosgate and Kicker amp. Also he replaced the OEM hatch speakers with two Rockford Fosgate speakers (6x9), those I didn't remove and left in and kept it the wiring , but it isn't hooked up to the Sony head unit I have. I am simply looking for simple sound system and just want to place two speakers up front (sixbyeight).

Obviously with 87-93 LX/GT models had speakers in the doors, but with 85/86 GTs there are no mounts in the doors and they have a speaker in the center of the dash and what I believe are a tweeter on the left and right of the dash. On my dash the speaker is broken and even what I believe is the left tweeter has a hole in it. I need a new dash for sure, it's got quite a bit of of sun damage to it.

I am just curious where people with 85/86 GTs are placing aftermarket speakers in the front? Obviously to maintain concealment. I am unsure of how 82-84 Mustang's front speakers look or how they are placed.

Thanks for the input in advance!
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

In my 85 GT I put door speakers in for more sound. I am also installing new 3.5" kenwood dash speakers. I run a small 4 channel amp under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by 86MustangGtRob View Post
    In my 85 GT I put door speakers in for more sound. I am also installing new 3.5" kenwood dash speakers. I run a small 4 channel amp under the seat.

That's exactly where I want to mount mine, in the door, but since the car didn't come with speakers in the door from the factory I don't know how to mount them exactly without it not looking OEM-style. Do you have a picture of yours by chance? Is it a custom mount?
    Last edited by BoostMasterZero; 03-28-2021 at 06:30 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I can get you a picture later this week. I have the car in storage. I used to have the 87-93 speaker covers to make it look close to oem. I used a dremel to cut out the speaker hole and run speaker wires to the door.

FEP Power Member

I think the convertible door grills might be available.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by 86MustangGtRob View Post
    I can get you a picture later this week. I have the car in storage. I used to have the 87-93 speaker covers to make it look close to oem. I used a dremel to cut out the speaker hole and run speaker wires to the door.
    Thank you, I would really appreciate it and i'm in no rush at all. I still gotta install the PA Performance 130 amp alternator I bought and just got a bunch of 4G cable, 200 amp fuse box, and some lugs to crimp on the end of the wire, so i'm going to do that install first. I'm just trying to see how other people with 85/86 front door panels mounted their aftermarket speakers. I want to hide it if possible and keep it looking OEM, but it makes sense to use 87-93 speaker covers since mounting a speaker inside the door with no holes wouldn't make any sense lol. I'm no audiophile, so as long as I can get it mounted and the sound is crisp and clear, i'm ok with that. The interior is pretty much completely stock, except of the two 6x9 speakers the previous owner mounted where the OEM ones go in the hatch and he also installed some Sony head unit which i'll leave since it does have BT and I have SiriusXM on another car, so I have the App on my phone and i'm able to listen to it once I pair it to any car.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I think the convertible door grills might be available.
    Thanks, i'll look into it.
    Last edited by BoostMasterZero; 03-30-2021 at 01:08 AM.

The stock dash house two 3.5" speakers at the outer corners. The center dash opening is generally for the amplifire on the GT models. They did not install speakers.

I just installed this speaker in the center dash opening on my 1986 Bronco. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...nt=31329869390 The Bronco has door speakers and rear quarter speakers and with the dash it now has 6 speakers. Sound quality is very good and I am not even running any bass blockers.

I am not sure if it will fit the Mustang opening, but there are options that allow you to increase the speaker number and quality without having to cut into the doors if you don't want to. As stated the 87-93 speaker grills can be modifie to work with the early door panels. Not a perfect match, but the don't look bad.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The stock dash house two 3.5" speakers at the outer corners. The center dash opening is generally for the amplifire on the GT models. They did not install speakers.

I just installed this speaker in the center dash opening on my 1986 Bronco. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...nt=31329869390 The Bronco has door speakers and rear quarter speakers and with the dash it now has 6 speakers. Sound quality is very good and I am not even running any bass blockers.

I am not sure if it will fit the Mustang opening, but there are options that allow you to increase the speaker number and quality without having to cut into the doors if you don't want to. As stated the 87-93 speaker grills can be modifie to work with the early door panels. Not a perfect match, but the don't look bad.

Yeah, I just realized that after reading an article on crutchfield, who surprisingly had a good article specifically on speaker installation on a Fox body and broke down the speaker location and size of the OEM speakers on hatch/notch, and verts. I'll probably pick up the 87-93 speaker grills since they aren't too expensive.

I happen to have a 1986 GT passenger door in my basement that I removed the door panel off of and was looking at the actual metal being the panel to look for areas to mount a speaker and the only option is to cut out a section I believe. If you're wondering why I have a passenger door, it's from my father's wrecked 86 GT and I decided to keep it years ago along with some other parts like a passenger seat I also have.
    Last edited by BoostMasterZero; 03-30-2021 at 04:49 PM.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post

Interesting, but where does that mount on the door exactly? I have a text door to cut on for fitment.

FEP Power Member

Those go at the rear of the door late 84 convertible I believe.

Ok, so towards the rear. That's completely free space on the door panel. I'll have to check out the door itself and see if anything is in the way besides the metal that has to to cut.