Close

Default 8.8 Rear End Noise

Looking for some insight on a noise in my 8.8. Some history on the 8.8. Its from 87 or 88. It was in a 86 that I had that was changed to 5 lug. Previous owner put new axles, drums, brakes, axle bearings and seals. Still had the original 2.? gears. I had new 3.73 gears put in it. Was a FMS kit with shims, bearings etc. I put about 3K miles on it. Sold the 86 with a different rear end in the car. I pulled the axles and drums from the rear end to convert the other rear end to a 5 lug. Over the winter I put it in another car that is a 4 lug. I bought new 4 lug axles, and drums. Install went fine. Now I am hearing a noise when off the gas and in neutral cruising say 30-55mph. The noise it most likely there all the time but I can't hear it above the exhaust noise. It's between a low drone and a humming noise. Not to loud. When I touch the brakes it goes away. So I thought maybe the brakes may be dragging a little. So I backed them way off, but still hear the noise. I can't imagine it was there before so it must be related to something I changed. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Is it possible you could have inadvertently damaged an axle bearing while swapping the axles over?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Its possible. I was really careful though removing and installing the axles. The odd thing is it goes away when touching the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 5.0 View Post
    Its possible. I was really careful though removing and installing the axles. The odd thing is it goes away when touching the brakes.
    How about a loose backing plate? Maybe check the bolts?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Never thought of that. Going to pull the wheels in the morning and check. Thanks.

Turns out it was not the backing plates. I was thinking maybe unbalanced drums. But I think I would feel a vibration not just a noise.

Well I now believe the right rear drum is unbalanced or defective in some way. Bought them new from Advance auto parts. Going to try and exchange it for another one tomorrow. But may just look for another brand.