Close

Default Heater Box for 79 Cobra

Hi all, My heater box needs replacing. It's broken in so many ways... A buddy suggested converting to 83+ style. Does this work? Does anyone have insight into the swap? Or should I just hunt for an original 79? I'm a total noob and know nothing lol

TIA

If you don't have the skills and knowledge, making the swap to the later model style HVAC might be a bit overwhelming. Not impossible, but still several items change. I personally swapped my 79 PC from Non A/C to the later style with A/C. It requires, drilling and cutting out the firewall for the correct fitment of the HVAC box, Evaporator lines, and heater core tubes. Having all the parts from a donor car will be necessary to complete the task and keep the costs down. If you have to buy all the pieces individually, you might be better off swapping in an aftermarket A/C setup such as Vintage Air, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Wraith. I'll just stick with 79-82 style then.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneRanger View Post
    Thanks Wraith. I'll just stick with 79-82 style then.
    Keep in mind there are differences in the 79-82 styles too. The 79-81, I believe have the H valve in the A/C system and the 82-93 use the orifice tube style system. That is the biggest difference. The HVAC boxes will interchange from 79-93 with the afore mentioned firewall surgery as needed.

If you just need the actual heater box, then you should be fine with 79-86 without many issues. The box itself without ducts is most likely interchangeable all the way to 93, but A/C became a bit more common in my experience for the later models.

Give us more specific information in regards to what you actually want to do and we can provide better information. Just swap a newer heater box in? Swap to A/C style box? Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Sure thing! My heater box is broken up pretty bad. It looks like someone kicked it for years. Parts are broken off and there are huge holes in it. I am pretty good with working on plastic, but that's only if I have the big pieces to work with (and they are long gone).

I just want to fix mine back to working great and being "right" (I'm a tad OCD LOL).

I'll just keep an eye out for a 79-81 box?

Thanks again