Close

Thread: 1983 EGR Delete

Default 1983 EGR Delete

I'm planning on cleaning up the engine bay in my 83 and along with removing the smog pump and all its associated components I was thinking of deleting the EGR system. Should I go with removing the EGR valve and using a block-off plate or just removing the whole factory setup entirely and get a regular 1/2" phenolic spacer?

If anything, take pics and label everything clearly beforehand.
    Stow in safe place or on pc if mistake is made pruning back too much.
    Car may run funny if items are removed for 'visual cleanup'.

I found my engine ran quite a bit hotter and 'less well' when my EGR was disconnected. Maybe just put nicer looking hoses on it instead? Your car may get stinky if your carb isnt tuned well and you toss the air and blow the cat. Maybe a modern cat could fix that though.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Are you using the stock intake manifold and heads?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

If your using the stock intake, then the problem you will run into is, the carb will not cover up the passage in the intake for the exhaust gasses. The egr plate is wider on the passenger side, and the carb base won't cover the opening. The gasket will but will leak exhaust very quickly.