Close

Default 1982 gt 5.0 4 spd idle surging and stalling

I have a bone stock 1982 gt. I bought it last year and everything ran fine it has 3500 original miles. I parked it for the winter and it ran fin for the first 10-15 minutes. Now it has a surging idle bouncing between 750 and 1500 rpm. It stalls if I dont have my foot on the gas pedal and it will die if i push in the clutch when coming to a stop. However unplugging a vacuum line clears up the problem completely. It will drive and idle fine can anyone give me an idea whats going on

Running too rich if a vacuum leak fixes the issue. Check the choke to make sure its not sticking. Check float level. Check fuel pressure
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Quote Originally Posted by Davesgro View Post
    I have a bone stock 1982 gt. I bought it last year and everything ran fine it has 3500 original miles. I parked it for the winter and it ran fin for the first 10-15 minutes. Now it has a surging idle bouncing between 750 and 1500 rpm. It stalls if I dont have my foot on the gas pedal and it will die if i push in the clutch when coming to a stop. However unplugging a vacuum line clears up the problem completely. It will drive and idle fine can anyone give me an idea whats going on
    Wow...would love to see pictures of that one! ^^^...But yea, what he said...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    Running too rich if a vacuum leak fixes the issue. Check the choke to make sure its not sticking. Check float level. Check fuel pressure

Thanks going to look at it today. Im not a mechanic but i can try. Should it need adjusting if its never been tampered with?

My guess, blown power valve. Buy a rebuilt kit for that 2V carb and do a quick rebuild. It is easy and quick and it will run great afterwards. The power valve enrichens the mixture when you are on it hard and the vacuum drops. When it blows (leaks), it causes the mixture to go extreme rich, thus when you introduce your vacuum leak, you lean it out to a runable mixture.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    My guess, blown power valve. Buy a rebuilt kit for that 2V carb and do a quick rebuild. It is easy and quick and it will run great afterwards. The power valve enrichens the mixture when you are on it hard and the vacuum drops. When it blows (leaks), it causes the mixture to go extreme rich, thus when you introduce your vacuum leak, you lean it out to a runable mixture.

Kenny
    Back in the day I think I put a half a dozen of those in my '83 GT. Was a common problem. For some reason it was prone to back pop through the carb, which apparently will kill a power valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangwolf View Post
    Back in the day I think I put a half a dozen of those in my '83 GT. Was a common problem. For some reason it was prone to back pop through the carb, which apparently will kill a power valve.
    Every freaking time until they started installing the blow out prevention check ball. My early Holley's ate 1 a year. It is the same reason I bought my daughter's 83 Capri so cheap: It would start fine then slowly run worse and worse until it just wouldn't run. The owner took it to a few people but no one figured it out... I knew the problem as soon as I smelled the exhaust. WooHoo... deal for me!

Just to be clear, the Autolite 2V carb also has a power valve, not just Holleys.

Kenny

Having similar issues with my 85 GT convertible. Bought it last fall and ran well until put away for the winter. Now have had it out a couple of times and it will periodically surge or die at idle. This past weekend I could only get a mile or so from home before deciding to turn around and head for the stable. I have a Holley and 5 spd. Have only put non-ethanol premium in the tank. Wondered if there was water in the lines. Thanks.