Close

Default 7.5 to 8.8 swap in 79 Mustang

Picked up an 8.8 traction loc axle with 3.08 gears to swap into a 79 Mustang with factory 7.5 axle. The factory hard brake line the rubber hose from the rear axle connects to disappears into the passenger side rear floorpan. Whats the cleanest option, run a new later fox hard line from front to back under the car and use factory center junction on 8.8 to connect to for rear brakes? Car has been stored inside for 25 years, but I can see possibility of twisting off factory hard line to rear axle that disappears into floorpan.

Some people pull the axles and then take off the backing plates with the brakes complete and swap them to the new rear. No need to even open the system. The center section of the 8.8 is a bit larger, so the lines need to be messaged a bit, but it will fit. That being said, running a new line from the front and using the center mount is probably the cleanest. Also, if you decide to keep the original line, check it's condition inside the car. For some reason, it likes to rust there.

I ended up running a new line from the firewall, through the car and then up and over the rear end to the stock 8.8 location.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I used a tubing bender to put a 90 degree bend toward the drivers side. Then I custom bent a line from the end of the original line to the bracket that is used to route the line to the 8.8 rear ends.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    I used a tubing bender to put a 90 degree bend toward the drivers side. Then I custom bent a line from the end of the original line to the bracket that is used to route the line to the 8.8 rear ends.
    Great idea
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    This would be my best case scenario. I have to get the center junction bracket for the 8.8 as it was removed from the axle housing I bought. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Webstang View Post
    This would be my best case scenario. I have to get the center junction bracket for the 8.8 as it was removed from the axle housing I bought. Thanks for the tip.
    Lmr sells the center mount bracket as well as pre-bent tubing, hoses etc

" -can see possibility of twisting off factory hard line to rear axle that disappears into floorpan"..
    Yes sir
    Also have a 79. Replaced the F-R tubing 2003 w/ss from Inline Tubing Shelby Twsp MI. Intermediate section only.
    The brake line snapped right where the tubing enters the floor pan grommet back by the 7.5 axle. Mich road salt= Rust.
    Hardest part is fishing tubing behind dash and HVAC (no a/c) were it goes thru the firewall.
    Being one piece and pre bent, hard to maneuver the tubing inside the car without temp bending it a bit out of shape.
    Took all day. Still looks like new.

As always, recommending a bit of anti-size or grease between fittings and tube to minimize 'rust weld' in a few years.
    One option is cut and flare the old hard line under the seat and splice in a new custom bent section of tubing to axle.
    AGS Poly-Armour bends easy without kinking with a tubing bender, not expensive, easy to find, and is coated.
    That removable rear floor pan rubber grommet allows clearance to replace tubing with a fitting already installed.

It was easy to replace my brake line because the interior was gutted at the time. I used the nicopp lines and bent and flared it with SS fittings.

My 79 hasnt seen winter roads since 1986, so I figure I have a good 50/50 chance with the fitting unthreading without twisting off lol. If it does twist off, I may take a good look at running the new line under the car like a later fox. Thanks for the tip on the replacement line from LMR. I requested a catalog from them twice and never received one. NPD was quick to send me a catalog for Fox Mustangs.