Close

Default Convertible weather stripping

Maybe not the best place for this since its convertible issue. There used to be a long thread on verts but impossible to find now. Perhaps a separate category for Verts would be in order? Or pin the old thread to the top of this forum?

Anyway, I have an 84 LX convertible. I got the car back in 2014. One of the first things I did was to have a new convertible top installed. About 2 years later I ordered a full set convertible weather-stripping kit. So now, 5 years later, I have cracked and crumbling convertible weather stripping. No doubt I will have to replace the convertible top weather-stripping again.

My question is, does anyone know of an alternative to Daniel Carpenter for weather stripping? I have learned over the past 7 years that I have owned this car, that Daniel Carpenter may have original Ford tool and dies, but they use cheap plastic and rubber in the repro parts. It's sickening that their stuff is not cheap in price, but is crap in quality.

When I first got the car I replaced the power window guide inserts. I used Daniel Carpenter. A year and a half later the inserts were twisted and stretched out of shape. The next time around I waited until I could locate enough NOS Genuine Motorcraft window guide inserts and the quality in plastic was night and day. The same can be said for virtually every item made from plastic or rubber made by Daniel Carpenter with Ford tooling. JUNK.

I don't mind putting money into my car. But I was getting to the point where I'd consider my build finished or at least 99% finished. Now I have air and water leaks all around and have to play with this again.

So is there another option for weather stripping?

If there is an alternative, I have not found it. Sad that carpenter’s stuff is such low quality.

Been through this with his dad’s (Dennis Carpenter) on my older ford stuff. Luckily there’s a few more options on repop stuff for those.

Hopefully more folks will step up to reproduce parts for our cars — especially vert specific stuff.

Until then, it’s NOS if you can find (or afford) it.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

I am in the same boat. Looking for weather strip for the A post and the door to body rubber trim .
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Vert thread........http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=convertible

i see most of my pics are gone thanks to photobucket, I'll have to repost them.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Vert thread........http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=convertible

i see most of my pics are gone thanks to photobucket, I'll have to repost them.
    Thanks for sharing the link. Bookmarked
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Went ahead and bought the weather strips for my convertible hope for the best.
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND