drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 143800
paint color: yellow
size: mid-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: other

Greetings Craigslisters! Up for sale today is a 1981 Ford Durango. For those who don't know, the Durango was based on the Fairmont Futura, converted by a company called National Coach Works in LA into a ute with a fiberglass bed. They built approximately 212 of them and sold them at Ford dealerships pitching the idea to Ford to buy the design as a replacement for the Ranchero, but ultimately that never happened. Car features the 200ci inline 6, a single barrel carb, a C4 automatic transmission, and an 8.8 open differential with power front disk brakes and drum rear.

This vehicle has had the tailgate modified by a previous owner. The original couldn't be operated with the tailgate down, and this one has a removable tailgate with Cadillac tail lights retrofitted to the rear quarter panels. I purchased this Durango in 2017 and since then I've replaced the carb, the head gasket, radiator, battery, brake booster and master, exhaust manifold gasket along with a full custom catback with a Thrush muffler, replaced the wheels with American Racing Boyds rep wheels with Ironman tires, replaced the rear struts, installed an electric fan, and flushed the transmission.

Car runs and drives, but the baffle in the gas tank is loose, so sometimes making a right turn causes the car to sputter. It's common with every Fox platform car and the tank will need to be replaced. The turn signal lever is broken so the unit will need to be replaced, the entire blower motor/heater doesn't function so that will need to be sorted, there's no radio, the throttle cable sticks sometimes, the brake pedal doesn't always come all the way back up without tapping on it, which leaves the brakes lights on, and the ignition switch has the start switch bypassed to a push button that will need to be replaced, the power steering pump bracket is cracked so I just deleted the power steering, the rack should be replaced as well.

Like I said, it runs and drives, obviously some items need attention, but you can drive it home.

Asking $4500obo email or call Chris
Click => 1981 Ford Fairmont Durango - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Mike