Close

Thread: Windage Tray?

Talking Windage Tray?

So, I’ve been sitting here recovering from a broken ankle, watching reruns of whatever. There is an episode of Engine Masters where they swap the standard oil pan out for a pan with a windage tray, then another episode where they put on a wide body oil pan. Engine is put on a dyno and compared. Horsepower and torque are improved at all rpm by a surprising amount. 22 hp and 11 ft-lb gain going to the wide body. this is on a big block Chevy that can rev to 8k rpm. Just wondering if anyone is running a windage tray and are you seeing any benefit? Canton and Milodon are a couple of manufacturers, and for the money, it is a low cost way to pick up some power. I hope this isn’t too big a can of worms. Or maybe I do!
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I saw that as well... If had a chance to do it over, I would definitely definitely add that to my rebuild.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I watched it. Very interesting episode, as always. Didn't he mentioned that oil pan was $650?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I watched it. Very interesting episode, as always. Didn't he mentioned that oil pan was $650?
    Yes I think so. But that was a 2 part pan with the windage tray built in. Over the stock pan, I think they were able to add over 30 hp to the dyno. Sounds like a no-brainer if you are building a serious racing engine. LMR shows a windage tray kit for $130. No idea what the hp improvement would be, but, a 15 hp improvement would be a nice help. Better to put it to the rear wheels instead of churning and heating the oil.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    Yes I think so. But that was a 2 part pan with the windage tray built in. Over the stock pan, I think they were able to add over 30 hp to the dyno. Sounds like a no-brainer if you are building a serious racing engine. LMR shows a windage tray kit for $130. No idea what the hp improvement would be, but, a 15 hp improvement would be a nice help. Better to put it to the rear wheels instead of churning and heating the oil.
    It was also interesting to see how too much oil was robbing hp. I watch very little tv these days, but this is one of only a few gems. Roadkill garage, Hot Rod Garage, Flipping Bangers, old episodes of Wheeler Dealers (with Edd China) being a few others.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I put a Milodon "road-race" kick-out pan on my 8.2 deck stroker. Holds 7 quarts before the filter, has baffles and trap doors to keep the oil around the pick-up. Is only 7" deep so lots of ground clearance. Seems to work great but there is no way to measure what if any improvement had I done a stock pan instead. I think I would do a kick-out pan again but not sure if a windage tray is necessary for primarily a street car that sees some autocross and open track. I wanted the extra oil and confidence that the pick-up was swimming in oil during hard corners. Not looking for the last .5 HP/TQ which is where windage is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I put a Milodon "road-race" kick-out pan on my 8.2 deck stroker. Holds 7 quarts before the filter, has baffles and trap doors to keep the oil around the pick-up. Is only 7" deep so lots of ground clearance. Seems to work great but there is no way to measure what if any improvement had I done a stock pan instead. I think I would do a kick-out pan again but not sure if a windage tray is necessary for primarily a street car that sees some autocross and open track. I wanted the extra oil and confidence that the pick-up was swimming in oil during hard corners. Not looking for the last .5 HP/TQ which is where windage is an issue.
    Did you have any trouble with the Milodan Road Race pan kickout hitting the rear of the K member on the passenger side? I am having an issue with that in my 83 GT. Building a 347; right now I have a mock up block in with the Milodon pan attached. The K member, which is thinker on the passenger side, and the steering rack bolt head (M16 with integral washer) is hitting the oil pan. I can cut away the k member and plate it but the rack bolt is more problematic.

No, but I'm running an MM K-member on my 86. Also have a 347.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I'm running a similar Moroso pan with the MM K-member. I did need to trim the ends of the rack bolts off to clear, but that was it. It does make the starter a challenge to get to though.