Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2021 Best carpet replacement?

I searched for recent posts but couldn't find anything, so here goes.

Have any of you recently replaced carpet? I'm wondering if ACC has improved in quality and fitment or are there better options? I need it for my 79 pace car. I went with ACC 5 or 6 yrs ago on my 88gt and wasn't happy with it. I found an older post suggesting SMS, but the link for carpet is dead on their website, so I'm presuming they stopped carrying it.

I did find this one, but they're a little pricey, which I'm fine with... but I would rather have some feedback before ordering. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    https://www.capcityinteriors.com/col...nt=20750870471
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I searched for recent posts but couldn't find anything, so here goes.

Have any of you recently replaced carpet? I'm wondering if ACC has improved in quality and fitment or are there better options? I need it for my 79 pace car. I went with ACC 5 or 6 yrs ago on my 88gt and wasn't happy with it. I found an older post suggesting SMS, but the link for carpet is dead on their website, so I'm presuming they stopped carrying it.

I did find this one, but they're a little pricey, which I'm fine with... but I would rather have some feedback before ordering. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    https://www.capcityinteriors.com/col...nt=20750870471
    Nice find. I too was quite unsatisfied with ACC carpets. I have swapped mine twice in 5 years. Thats not quality. I too tried to find an alternative but wasnt able to.

I found the ACC carpet fine for my 88 vert. I installed it 10 years ago and it has held up very well and when installed fit fine.
    Install pic.......

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Senior Member

What were your complaints about the ACC carpet? Did you get the upgraded backing? It seems like everybody just sells the same carpet.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

SMS sells ACC carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    What were your complaints about the ACC carpet? Did you get the upgraded backing? It seems like everybody just sells the same carpet.
    Yes is was the better carpet with backing. My problem was that the fitment just wasn't good at all. There were loose areas around the transmission tunnel and the edge on the passenger side was way too short to tuck under the scuff plate.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I found the ACC carpet fine for my 88 vert. I installed it 10 years ago and it has held up very well and when installed fit fine.
    Install pic.......
    I can tell at a glance that yours fit way better than mine (88gt hatchback). I went back and looked at my old build thread and I replaced the carpet Aug 2015. I just don't know if the quality went down since then, or I just got a bad one. I may give ACC another try. I'll just have to check the return policy from wherever I buy it. The carpet itself seems to be holding up ok. My buddy owns it now and he drives it often.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

My experience with ACC has been ok. Unfortunately it never fits as well as OEM. The latest ones seem to be "less form fitting" than in years past. Not sure if their molds are wearing or they are just not molding them as long or under the same pressure as in the past.

The other trick is take the carpet out of the box and lay it out in the sun to get nice and hot and soft. Then lay it in the vehicle and start fitting it to your vehicles. I will often use the OEM carpet for hole placement, openings, etc. when possible, but sometimes that can be a double edge sword if the new carpet does fit down and tight as the OEM. So if I do make any cuts, I tend to make them long rather than exactly as the OEM to give me room to adjust when needed.

Sometimes a heat gun on the backing can help form the carpet to the car. Be careful to not overheat or melt the carpet or backing. I will also say that matt sound deadening makes a huge improvement to the car and often will improve the fitment of the ACC carpet.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok. I guess I'll give them another shot. I'll just have to check the return policy before ordering.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Power Member

I thought there was another supplier mentioned here about 5 years ago. I got color samples but never ordered. I plan to order sand beige carpet soon.

I did a quick search and TrimParts came up as another source available from Summit. It was noted the color swatches had the same numbers as ACC.
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-22-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thought I would chime in on this. I replaced the carpet in my 87 Tbird a few years back. I got the carpet from Stock Interiors but it was ACC carpet. I did as Trey suggested. I laid the carpet in my driveway all day to “relax”. I wasn’t in a hurry so I placed it in the car and let it lay out for a week. ( I only had Saturdays to work on it) . After that it went in relatively easy except for around the transmission tunnel behind the radio stack. That fought me some. All and all it fit very well in the end and I would use them again .

I finally got around to installing the new ACC carpet. I seem to be having similar fitment issues. There's not enough material to fit under the scuff plates. I believe I can patch in a piece on each side to make it work. It's the same on both sides. For the most part, the rest fit ok. A couple other areas with some extra material that can't be trimmed, but it's not as noticeable. The problem at the scuff plates are just extremely annoying.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210420-001353_Gallery.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  238.5 KB
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I'm fighting ACC carpet in my '84 vert. This was purchased around 2009 and left in the box until last summer (2020). I left it out in the sun for several days to relax it. It's been in the car for over 6 months with no interior while i work on other areas. I didn't have old carpet to use as a reference so I laid it in with the ribbing for the seat risers as my guide. The fit is very sub-par. They have enough material on the edges for the convertible, but the front corners up around the kick panels and dash are a mess. Can't get it to lay around the corners without bunching up. I may try a few relief cuts but am not optimistic.

For reference, I laid dynamat extreme from the cowl to the rear seat area before the rug went in. I've tried adding extra jute in problem areas and it helps a little.

Excuse the mess. Lots going on and that extra jute shreds a lot when trimming.

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  115.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1801.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  154.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  121.7 KB
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m going to need a carpet soon
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Hot melt glue might work?
    I use outdoor carpet tape along the sills and tunnel. Wells are bare epoxy painted metal.
    Am using strips of carpet to cover where the front foot well mats end. Rear carpet is ok.
    No more water retention to rust the floor pan. Got at small drip somewhere under dash.
    Carpet and padding is fine in a dry car.

So I just opened my Acc carpet that's been in a box since 2018. I got the one with the jute on the bottom for extra sound deadening. Noticed that there are indentsfor where you need to cut for shifter, ebrake, seat holes etc. Anybody know how accurate they are?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    So I just opened my Acc carpet that's been in a box since 2018. I got the one with the jute on the bottom for extra sound deadening. Noticed that there are indentsfor where you need to cut for shifter, ebrake, seat holes etc. Anybody know how accurate they are?
    I generally use the old carpet as a guide for hole and opening locations. Lay the old on top of the new and mark as needed. I always test fit before cutting and then always cut short to make sure you don't over cut. The shifter opening is generally the best one to start with. The carpet will lay down more accurately once you get that opened up and then you can do the seat bolt mounts, seat belt holes, etc.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Bummer is my car had no carpet when I bought it.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Bummer is my car had no carpet when I bought it.
    Then place the carpet in the car. Carefully cut slots to allow any E brake, shifter, etc. to poke through the carpet. That will help to get the carpet to lay more in the correct position. Then use an awl or a flat blade screw driver to mark all your seat belt, seat mount openings. I like a single edge razor blade to make X cuts on any seat mount studs so they can poke through the carpet. Once everything is marked, you can enlarge the holes for better fitment and ease of installing bolts, etc. Just be careful to not cut too much. Re-install all your parts and pieces and you should be good to go.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Put my Acc carpet in on the weekend. Been sitting in box since 2018. Took it out and left it sit in basement for a couple weeks. Before installing I let it sit in the sun for a bit. Seemed to go relatively easy and Turned out pretty good I think.
    Name:  20210518_202611.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  724.9 KB
    Name:  20210518_203158.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  630.6 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Looks great! I'm about ready to cut losses on mine. Whatever the mat backing is made of, it's too chalky to allow anything to stick. I'm having trouble adding pieces to it. Yours looks factory. Mine looks like it's for a dodge pickup.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Looks great! I'm about ready to cut losses on mine. Whatever the mat backing is made of, it's too chalky to allow anything to stick. I'm having trouble adding pieces to it. Yours looks factory. Mine looks like it's for a dodge pickup.
    Thanks, don't get me wrong mine still had/has some issues also. Passenger side kick panel area doesn't fit snug and there was some bunching up by the trans tunnel right by the gas pedal. I got most of it sorted out but it's still not perfect. I'm hoping it will settle I'm time. Looks much better when you put the plastics on lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Does look very good Sask!

Here is mine 10 years on but only about 9xxx miles.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

i'm ready to buy carpet should I get with padding or without ??
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    i'm ready to buy carpet should I get with padding or without ??
    Im getting ready to order as well and I'm thinking of going with the backing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast