Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I side with carbs. Both vehicles here are driven regularly, no racing.
    Have stock 2.3 engines in both. Carb/turbo version in the car, EFI dual plug in the Ranger.
    EFI advantage i note is quick cold winter weather start, idle is better, less maintenance per miles.
    EFI has intermittent and mysterious cold engine timing map issues.
    After a few minutes warm up the carb engine is much more fun to drive, needs little attention for many miles.
    Stock or modded muscle cars make plenty of power with carbs. Its all about getting the parts and tune right.

The stock Holley/Weber 2v carb that was on the car is not made any more. Good correct replacements are rare.
    Considered EFI kit for the car and came to my senses. Too expensive and too much fiddling for unknown results.
    Changed to a aftermarket model Holley 2v. Uses mostly current production parts. Needed mods for turbo app. Luv it.
    I like to tinker, but not with something as complex and time consuming to achieve what a carb already does very well.
    Am pretty home pc computer savvy as to mods, but EFI kits look too complex to tie up the car for ?? plus tuning for ??.
    Using a remote laptop or phone for doing most anything work related is really not interesting to me.
    Reminds me of the techs at work having to debug robotic assy line faults every day with laptops and control panels.
    To me it is much less work and less mind numbing to do whatever to a carb. Analog vs digital.

EFI kits are fine if that is what one desires. As with any modded car, you will be it's primary and maybe only mechanic.
    Few repair shops will touch a non stock car, or if they can, get out your wallet. Where do spare parts come from?

No ongoing fuel smell in either here except normal wiffs every now and then. Heavy smells are leaks.
    They suck fuel, exhaust fumes, thru cowl HVAC, holes, rolled down window reversion, missing emissions parts.

Problem on old cars is not just the fuel system but overall wear of all the other parts.
    When new, everything is new. Cross country trips no issue. Payments and insurance are.
    Now, well, never know when something will go. Who fixes it? Where will the parts come from?
    Even with regular preventive maintenance, inspections, and documenting everything. Catch it before it happens.
    Breaking down on the road can be a nightmare, the price for driving old cars. Never know when it will happen.
    Like a 100k mile timing belt -can break at any time (and do) if not replaced before the fact.

Going on a long road trip? Rent a car. Leave the old ones home. Peace of mind.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-26-2021 at 04:32 PM.

I don't mind a carb but on a post 75 car I think going EFI is fine, it's just a different mindset for tuning etc. Less jets and screws, more sensors and stuff.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I've got the Sniper on my 5.0L. As others stated, take your time to get the initial setup right (read the manual), and let the EFI do it's thing. I had some initial issues with the IAC position, which was giving a high-idle. After figuring out that the throttle cable wasn't allowing the blades to close fully, all has been good.

It's nice to turn the key, hot or cold, and the car starting with no issues.

I'm still running mechanical timing advance on the dizzy, but will lock it out and run timing curves through the EFI... once I get around to it.

I have the Holley Sniper EFI system on my 83GT, and I love it.

As others have stated, take your time and get the initial setup right.

A couple of other comments:

I would suggest not using their in-line pump and pick up one of their in-tank pump modules.

I also upgraded the alternator setup on my car, as the factory alternator system wasn't able to handle the extra demand at idle.

Best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12