Close

Default SVO with cruise control

By the looks of the engine pics, looks like this SVO might have had cruise control installed? I'm guessing not Ford dealer installed but maybe aftermarket?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154359018413

Looks to be aftermarket. The Ford SVO cruise is different under the hood. It is also missing the Ford stalk on the column. My 85 Hertz SVO has cruise as did all other Hertz cars I believe.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

That's what I thought, thanks. Aftermarket would probably not the stalk control but maybe an add-on box. The light pull chain caught my eye.

I pulled out the SVO book and didn't see anything mentioning cruise control. So you are saying the Hertz cars got cruise control? I'll like to see a picture of the setup as I don't think I ever saw one before.

FEP Power Member

The Ford cruise control was add on for a thunderbird turbo coupe. I installed one on the svo I bought new. My Hertz car does not have it.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    The Ford cruise control was add on for a thunderbird turbo coupe. I installed one on the svo I bought new. My Hertz car does not have it.
    Interesting. Somewhere I have a picture of an 84 TC with the dealer installed cruise control.

I'll have to check tomorrow. I made the assumption all Hertz cars had it.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

My first '86 2A SVO had dealer installed (Ford) cruise. It was added to entice the original owner to purchase the car after the '85.5 that he ordered wasn't delivered.

I am sure I have pictures of the set up, but that was back before everything went digital. The vacuum canister "literally a can" was mounted on the inner fender in the engine bay instead of trying to tuck it behind the plastic fender liner. It never worked properly when I had the car. I probably still have the paperwork on it.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    My first '86 2A SVO had dealer installed (Ford) cruise. It was added to entice the original owner to purchase the car after the '85.5 that he ordered wasn't delivered.

I am sure I have pictures of the set up, but that was back before everything went digital. The vacuum canister "literally a can" was mounted on the inner fender in the engine bay instead of trying to tuck it behind the plastic fender liner. It never worked properly when I had the car. I probably still have the paperwork on it.
    To resurrect an old thread

My 1986 1D had dealer installed Cruise Control. There is many components to it. I have removed it for now but probably will reinstall at some point.

It has a modified speedometer cable that I think is actually a 2 piece unit. (this cable is still in my car being used). This has some sort of gear and a wire pickup assembly that sends a signal to the cruise unit. (I dont really know how it works to be honest).

There is also a vacuum can (more like a big ball) that sits near the driver side strut tower/solenoid/coil area that has a cable actuator to "control" the speed.

A special modified turn signal stalk that has the typical on/off set/resume increase/coast etc...

Then the associated wiring and connections that go under the dash for the clutch signal interrupt, brake interrupt etc etc... that was more of a butcher job by the dealer mechanic who really did not give 2 sh!ts when installing it etc...

It is actually a clever set up and I used it often back in 90s when it was my daily driver going from NY to Connecticut. It worked very good and utilized vacuum.
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D