Close

Default Printed circuit board question

I have an 82 GT that I am restoring and the dash lights are not working. I replaced the headlight switch on recommendation but that didn't change anything. Is there a diagram about the circuit board that shows what connection is what? I want to test the board before I re-install the cluster. I have also used a test light to check the plugs in the dash. The lower left plug has some always hot points and the center plug has some hot points when the ignition is on but nothing changes on any point when I turn the lights on. Any help or suggestions to resolve my darkness would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the reply, I am unable to figure out how to access the information. Sorry but I am not too computer savvy. Would you mind giving me some guidance please? Thank you.

There should be a light blue wire with red stripe that provides power to the dash lights when the switch is on. Also check fuse F-13 as it may be blown.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1982-Ford-Mu...YAAOSwDX5b-tg5

The troubleshooting manual is easier to read than the full schematics, I would recommend you buy one if you are planning on fixing any electrical gremlins.

Would be this pin on the connector that goes in the back of the instrument cluster
    Name:  RB Pin.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  23.5 KB

If none of your interior dash lighting comes on with the switch, then you are most likely looking at a fuse or a broken wire. If only the instrument cluster lighting does not come on, then I would focus on the printed circuit board and the plugs that connect to the instrument cluster. As mentioned above the Light Blue with Red stripe should be the power feed for the lights. You also want to check your grounds to make sure you don't have any issues there. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Only a couple lights worked on my pace car and the rest were completely dead. After trying a few different things, I finally realized that the bulb sockets were not making good contact. I just pulled the sockets out and pryed up on the contacts so there was more pressure on the board and now all my lights are working great. You can also purchase new ones really cheap.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Thanks for all of the great responses. I believe I checked the fuse, but will do so again. I will also check the blue wire again. I have used a test light on each contact and found that there are several always hot regardless if the ignition switch is on or not. I have tested all contacts with the light switch on, and off and there is no change in any of the contacts. As recommended I have already replaced the printed circuit board as the original had several "loose" contacts at the plug. My biggest puzzling moment in my testing is finding several "always hot" contacts. I do not see a reason the instrument cluster should have hot contacts at all times. Thanks again for all of the replies.