Close

Default heater core replacement

I had no idea how involved this was. I'm almost at the heater core. The big question is: will I remember how to put it all back together?

While I had it all apart, I also replaced the vacuum switch that releases the parking brake, and repaired the cassette player. Ordered new speakers to put in the dash too.

I just bought a 72 Ranchero (302 - 2 barrel with a 3 on the tree), idles rough and has trouble shifting into 1st - I want start driving the Lincoln again, and then pull the Ranchero in the garage and get to working on it. It's spring break, so I have a week off, and I'm hoping to get the Lincoln back together before the week is over.

Name:  IMG_0293.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  205.7 KB

That's the nice thing about cell phones.. do some work, take a pic. All you have to do is remember to stop and take it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

I finally got the leaky heater core out (without having to disconnect and discharge the AC). These two old threads were really helpful, even though they were for a Mustang (and even with the pics are gone from one of them):
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ut-cutting-DUW
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...dash%20removal

I'll add that if you also need to replace that parking brake vacuum switch mounted atop the steering column, there is one screw that holds it on that is directly above the column, that I just could not get to from below. I eventually had to lower the column, get a really long nut driver, slide it down above the column, and get to it from above.

Also, if you're like me and like to keep the original (or at least from the same era) radios in your cars, here's a pic showing how the rubber belts go, that you'll probably have to replace to get your cassette player working.

Name:  lincoln_radio.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  184.3 KB

Almost have the dash back together, but haven't hooked up the new heater core yet. Went for a drive yesterday, the cassette player works now, and the AC still works, but the automatic parking brake releaser still doesn't work. The old switch was leaking vacuum, and the new switch isn't: I know because I could hear it before and I can't hear it now, but something else must still be wrong with it.

After this I have to replace my muffler and tailpipe: the old ones fell off. I have a new muffler and tailpipe, but haven't put them on yet.

check the vacuum motor at the release, they leak too.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

I pulled it out, but left it connected and shifted into drive to see what it would do. I can see it sort of try to move, but not quite enough. At least I know there is vacuum getting to it. Now I have to see if I can find a replacement.

Replaced the muffler and tailpipe - now making this the only one of my 3 cars that doesn't have leaky exhaust. I'm having no luck trying to find a replacement that vacuum powered parking brake releaser.

FEP Senior Member

If you are talking about he actuator right on the parking brake it may cross reference with other Ford models. I know the full size LTD Crown Victoria also had a similar/same system.

Were you able to find a new aftermarket muffler and tailpipe? I had a hard time finding a direct fit muffler for my wagon when I was searching a couple of years ago. Luckily the tailpipe was in good shape so I reused it.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I was able to find the tailpipe, and the muffler (It was the right size/shape, but didn't have the place to attach the hanger, and I had to modify one of those hangers that attach to the pipe instead). This car has 2 cats, then followed by a y-pipe, then single exhaust. There is a small piece of pipe that bolts to the y-pipe, then hooks to the muffler - and I was able to find that too (after some searching). I kept everything before that, it was still in ok condition, and I couldn't locate that y-pipe anyway.

The one thing for exhaust I need but I can't find is this tube that goes from the smog pump to the catalytic converters. I'd just get rid of it (along with the smog pump) if I didn't need to pass the smog test, but here in AZ, you have a choice of either just having a car older than 67, getting this classic car insurance and not using it as a regular driver (which I'm trying to do now with my 72 Ranchero and 84 Firebird), or passing the smog test (which I need to do with the Lincoln, because I like to drive it to work).