Close

Default Driveshaft Question

Need advice on a driveshaft dilemma. Putting a 4R70W into my LTD LX and ended up in possession of a 95 Cobra driveshaft for the transmission yoke. While getting the old u-joints out I noticed that my stock driveshaft is 3” in diameter while the Cobra ‘shaft is 3.5”, and also takes 1330 u-joints vs the stock 1310 joints.

My question is this: Would it be worth getting the Cobra ‘shaft lengthened to fit the LTD? Or is there really no difference? I have (very) eventual plans to go forced induction on this car and would much rather do things right the first time.

Which way would you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

A 95 Cobra has the same trans yoke as a 4r70w?
    That’s good to know. Thanks.
    I already have the right yoke, I’m looking to see what length shaft will fit my Zephyr
    Which if I’m not mistaken should be same as your LTD?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I do believe the driveshaft came out of a Cobra, not entirely sure since I got it from a buddy who sold the drivetrain out of the car. And my stock shaft is like right at 50” CL yoke to yoke. The Cobra is 45.5”, both of those are just quick checks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Thank you for the info!
    much appreciated
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

The only way to lengthen one is to replace the tube. You are better off to find one that you want that is too long and have it shortened. The larger the diameter, the thinner is can be and transmit the same torque. So bigger diameter is usually lighter. The 2 downsides are: space for the bigger shaft, and they transmit a bit more noise.

Have fun with your project.