Close

Default odometer gears and numbers

Hey all:

My speedometer in the 86 GT has been singing lately and finally quit. I have a replacement but need to get the odometer correct, which means disassmbly and repositioning. That is proving tobe difficult. Does anyone have any tricks or ideas? Each time I reassemble the little pin with the small white gears the numbers move a little. Clearly I'm not real good at this. I'm concerned the pin might wear out and before long I'll be at this again. Thanks much.
    For some reason the website won't allow me to upload photos.

Managed to get the odometer reading correctly for the car. Used scotch tape. Reinstalled the speedometer. The problem ws the cable wasn't quite seated on the back and it must have vibrated off and of course quit. Spare speedometer went on and works but is still noisy plus the odometer doesn;t work at all now. I have a third spare I might try in the future but it probably will sing also. I checked the speedometer cable on both ends, used a drill to test it and it works fine. Actually they both work fine. My car has dealer added cruise so I have two cables. Thought the speed sensor they both connect to might have quit but its fine and the cruise works well. Just no odometer.
    So what actually makes these things scream and wine? Are they repairable? If I find another replacement it may sing also. Might it really be the cable? The plastic sleeve is original but the cable inside has only five years or so on it. And the short cruise control cable is new old stock and functions fine. Ideas most welcome. Would be nice to drive without that grinding noise. Although it quiets down on the interstate. Not sure which is worse- the speedometer wine or the loud fan when the heat or AC is on. Crank the stereo, right?
    Ceers.

Since no one commented...

I swapped out the speedometer for spare number three and while it does read and the odometer works, it reads about ten MPH too high/ fast. But little noise. What luck, eh? Only took me an hour this time. Even managed to knock the throttle cable off the pedal during reconnecting the speedometer cable.
    My next guess is to send one or two away to a speedometer shop for repair but was hoping to use funds for another project.
    Cheers,
    M

The speedometer needle is just held in place by friction. It can be removed carefully if needed. There are small plastic pry tools that can be used to gently pop the needle off the gauge. Once that is done you can reposition the needle to read accurately or at least more accurately. I have done this in the past with different speedometer once I know for sure the transmission speedometer gear is correct. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

PM me if you want...I might have an option for you.

Kenny