Close

Default Anyone had any issues with this new 84-86 Ford Motorcraft battery sold by Ford?

It has a 3 year/36,000 month warranty. It's the OEM style battery so i'm guessing it's the factory CCA as the battery in my car currently also has 590 CCA so I thought this Ford Motorcraft one must have the same stats. If you enter your car, it shows as fitting 1984-1986 GT 5.0 Mustangs. As I said I just like the look of this battery over the one I have, duramax, or something it's called. O'reiley's does sell the battery, but for $140, but I couldn't find that exact code on their website, but i'm sure if I called I could find it, but there isn't one of their stores close where I live. Just Pepboys and Advance.

It's just dirty and even when I cleaned it up it didn't look perfect. Plus this Ford Motorcraft battery is only $121 from the Ford dealer, of course they don't stock it and you do have to order it and it says 15 day wait, which is no problem. Just curious if anyone else has one if their car? I just like the OEM look.

Here's a link to the battery...

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...tery-7852221-1
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

That is what I have installed in my Mustangs as of late. Ford has a better warranty and better pricing than Oreilly's, Auto Zone, Napa, Advanced, and even Battery's Plus. Can't beat the warranty either. As you mentioned the Motorcraft battery just looks right in the engine bay too.

I have never run anything, but Motorcraft Batteries in my 2004 Super Duty. I am on my 3rd set at this point, but each set has gone at least 5-6 years worth of life, so no complaints. Again the Motorcraft Batteries were cheaper than any competition and when you have to replace 2 it adds up quick.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I have been using the Motorcraft batteries for the last 20 years. They seem to last fairly long. My local dealer would get them in a day or two. The Motorcraft distributor is probably less than 60 miles away. I started using them because Ford had discount coupons for batteries.

My local dealer has closed so I may try Oriellys for Motorcraft. These days most good batteries are $150..
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Supporter

What is the difference between these and one that would be for an earlier car? Looking at the O-Reilly site and it does not state 79 for any of them. Says it fits some 83's up to 86 but no 79-82. Also fits Pinto's though so curious on physical differences and whether it will work?.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...bxt56a/6230750

I have the BXT-56A in my 1980, fits fine and no problems.

FEP Power Member

I have the battery fitment sheet home on my desk. I’m out of town for the next week.

FEP Super Member

I friend of mi e retired from a battery manufacture .
    He said they made all brands of batteries .
    Motorcraft stipulates all virgin materials in their batteries . This is why they last as long as they do .
    Motorcraft is the only batteries I use .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That is what I have installed in my Mustangs as of late. Ford has a better warranty and better pricing than Oreilly's, Auto Zone, Napa, Advanced, and even Battery's Plus. Can't beat the warranty either. As you mentioned the Motorcraft battery just looks right in the engine bay too.

I have never run anything, but Motorcraft Batteries in my 2004 Super Duty. I am on my 3rd set at this point, but each set has gone at least 5-6 years worth of life, so no complaints. Again the Motorcraft Batteries were cheaper than any competition and when you have to replace 2 it adds up quick.

Very nice. I'll pick one up, or at least go to my local Ford Dealer this week and order one for my car. It should go well with the PA Performance 130 Amp alternator i'm ordering next week as well. I'm still rocking the stock Ford Motorcraft alternator with the fan style look. I believe the rep at PA Performance said that alternator puts out a weak 20 amps at idle. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Thanks for showing me the guy at Maximum Motorsports to PM. He PM'd me back, now we're emailing each other and he's very professional and courteous.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMasterZero View Post
    Very nice. I'll pick one up, or at least go to my local Ford Dealer this week and order one for my car. It should go well with the PA Performance 130 Amp alternator i'm ordering next week as well. I'm still rocking the stock Ford Motorcraft alternator with the fan style look. I believe the rep at PA Performance said that alternator puts out a weak 20 amps at idle. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Thanks for showing me the guy at Maximum Motorsports to PM. He PM'd me back, now we're emailing each other and he's very professional and courteous.
    i just bought one last week for my 85 gt.works great.great warranty,and great price.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMasterZero View Post

Glad to hear it! He's a good guy and very helpful. I am sure he will do what he can to work things out. I have always had pretty good service with Maximum, but you never know you might have gotten a new hire, or someone having a bad day. I agree there's no excuse, but that's when I always try to speak to someone a bit higher up and see if they can resolve the issue. Hope everything works out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    I have the BXT-56A in my 1980, fits fine and no problems.
    Hmm. I contacted my local Ford dealer and these are not available or able to order here in Canada... That's a shame.

Checked my receipt, got mine May 2019 from a Ford dealer. Sucks they discontinued them here.

I just did a quick internet check - found one at Eastgate Ford in Hamilton. So there must be some still around.

Just called my local Ford dealership this morning and they told me they can actually have one in by tomorrow. Pricing is a little different than the site said, but at $134 with the core charge, that's still not bad at all. So, the part's department guy I was talking to said I can just pay for it tomorrow when I get there and pick it up.

Next is the PA Performance 130 Amp Alternator, followed by a MegaSquirt.

Just picked it up, it was $134 + tax. The guy working there was pretty nice to talk to and when I asked about the masks since I wanted to buy one, he said "do you want one?" Of course I said yes. A blue face mask with the Ford blue oval on one side and #keepstrong or some saying like that on the other side and he gave me some type of pink Ford scarf thing he told me to give to my girlfriend.

Just a FYI on Motorcraft batteries.....
    As of March 1st all Motorcraft batteries will only carry a 3-yr warranty. Period. No more 100 month pro-rate. Now, that said,
    IF you buy one over the course of the next 3-4 months and it has the old labels on it that SAY 3 free and 100 pro-rated, Ford will honor that warranty. Once they are gone, they are gone. But I think yours has the old labels. Looks like it upon glancing. Gotta use the old ones first. And yes, if they are dirty, don't blame the dealer, tho they could have cleaned it up for you. Those things travel on pallets, in trucks, thru numerous vendors to get to the dealer. Being dirty is not unusual, but not normal.....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    '87 Turbo Coupe - 660 mile original
    '86 Turbo Coupe - 74k mile stripper

Ewwwww.
    Actually yours is only a 3 yr warranty. Shoulda glanced harder....

Quote Originally Posted by shorangerbird View Post
    Ewwwww.
    Actually yours is only a 3 yr warranty. Shoulda glanced harder....

What's wrong with 3 years? Mine was dirty as hell when I picked it up, I had to clean it off. I bet it will last 6-7 years. I drive the car about 3 times a week and I pull it into my garage and place it on a battery tender right after.

FEP Power Member

Deleted

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I just stated they no longer carry the 100 month warranty as b4.

Quote Originally Posted by shorangerbird View Post
    I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I just stated they no longer carry the 100 month warranty as b4.

Oh ok, it's just you replied, "Ewwww," as if I bought some terrible piece. Anyways, it's all good.