Close

Default Radiator... Recore or Replace?

Hey everyone -

I just had the GLX in for servicing and emissions testing. One of the items that came up was the radiator. The tech said that there were deposits forming inside that could eventually lead to blockages and an overheating situation. Wanting to keep things as OEM appearing as possible, what's the best way to go? Do I have the original re-cored, or should I just replace it with a new one? Also, is one method more cost effective than another?

Comment is invited. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

That's a good question. Personally I've always purchased replacement radiators when they got clogged and naturally it worked well. But that's also because it's hard to find decent shops in my area, and the service ends up being costly. So I've ended up getting replacements, sometimes from a reputable brand, sometimes from some place I'd never heard of. I got lucky on all but one that was leaky when I got it.

That being said, I like the idea of being able to take your original radiator to a nice shop and get it cleaned/re-cored. That just brings up the ground work of calling around for pricing, if that's a concern. Does the radiator on your car have any auxiliary connections that make it uncommon vs the common fox Mustang radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
    That's a good question. Personally I've always purchased replacement radiators when they got clogged and naturally it worked well. But that's also because it's hard to find decent shops in my area, and the service ends up being costly. So I've ended up getting replacements, sometimes from a reputable brand, sometimes from some place I'd never heard of. I got lucky on all but one that was leaky when I got it.

That being said, I like the idea of being able to take your original radiator to a nice shop and get it cleaned/re-cored. That just brings up the ground work of calling around for pricing, if that's a concern. Does the radiator on your car have any auxiliary connections that make it uncommon vs the common fox Mustang radiator?
    No, it's just the factory original radiator. Nothing unusual or different...just whatever Ford originally spec'd for a 3.8 V6 with A/C. I have done some shopping online for a new one. Prices range from just over $100 to almost $300. I've never had any cooling issues, so I would be inclined to stay with something like the original. That takes me back to the question of buying something new that looks like it belongs there, not some shiny aluminum monster that would stick out like crazy.
    Bryan

FEP Power Member

You may not need a recore. Rodding a radiator involves removing the tank and running a rod down each passage. Only your radiator shop can make the right call what is needed. If you do get a recore, ask the to transfer the hardware to the new one. Specifically, the top piece with Ford on it. No extra charge.

The last NOS radiator I saw was over $500. Generic brass ones start around $300. A recore might be a bit more.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You may not need a recore. Rodding a radiator involves removing the tank and running a rod down each passage. Only your radiator shop can make the right call what is needed. If you do get a recore, ask the to transfer the hardware to the new one. Specifically, the top piece with Ford on it. No extra charge.

The last NOS radiator I saw was over $500. Generic brass ones start around $300. A recore might be a bit more.
    That's good to hear. I was also doing some research on cleaning out such deposits. There are quite a few over the counter products to be used as part of a flush and refill process that are supposed to be capable of removing those deposits with excellent results. It makes me wonder why they feel that replacement is the best solution. I will, in any case, contact a couple of radiator shops to see what they recommend and pricing.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I've never had any cooling issues,
    I don't know how you use your car so maybe replacement would bring some peace of mind, but I'm pretty much in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it camp" myself. I can't imagine myself replacing a radiator in a car that doesn't have any leaks or cooling problems.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

So, I understand the originality issue. I went down that path myself. At some point you need to decide if chasing originality is that important. After all, if the car has lots of miles then it's not likely collector material as an unmolested original. In which case, modded Foxes are moving up in collector value as long as the mods are tasteful. Frankly, moving to an aluminum rad might do wonders for any cooling issues you have. And it's not permanent if you want to sell the car in "original" or nearly so condition. Just keep the original rad.

FEP Power Member

Actually, his car is a low mileage original and a v6. No cooling issues should be expected.

If you really like it original, and it isn't overheating at this point, you could clean it yourself. Take it out and flush it completely with hose water. Then get a couple gallons of white vinegar and fill it up. I lay it on its face when I do this. You can let it soak for a few days and dump it in a bucket. Rinse and see what you get. You could strain the vinegar and do it a couple of times.

It would be better if you could rig up a recirculating pump and just let if flow for a day or two.

Only use distilled water when you replace fluid. Most deposits are formed from the minerals in the water, distilled does not have minerals. If you want a cheap supply of distilled water, the drain of your high efficiency natural gas heater is a great source.

If you are having overheating problems, it is too late, either rod or re-core.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Actually, his car is a low mileage original and a v6. No cooling issues should be expected.
    Correct...26,210 original miles to be exact. I'm actually going to ask them about cleaning the radiator, rather than replacing it. It doesn't make sense to replace one that isn't leaking...unless that turns up after the cleaning process. I can't do it myself. My condo complex doesn't allow auto repairs on site and California doesn't allow running hoses. I intend to ask them why they recommend replacing before taking it further.
    Bryan

My guess is, not being a radiator shop and not caring about originality, they wanted to sell you a repair that they could do quickly with a high success rate. Running a cleaner through a cooling system invites the possibility that those deposits are sealing a hole somewhere. If they replace the radiator, it doesn't disturb anything else. Flushing the radiator in the car risks, say, a corroded block plug letting go and you coming back and costing them money.

I would expect as soon as you say "original radiator" or "can it be re-cored?" they will say, "yes, sure, a radiator shop can do that".

FEP Power Member

Bryan,

It’s 4 bolts to removed the shroud, then push it back. 4 bolts on the radiator, then 2 hoses and 2 trans tubes. At that point, you can take it to any radiator shop. If I were closer, I would offer some help.