Close

Default Large interior panels

The drivers side large rear interior panel seriously degraded in my 79 even though I have stored the car indoors for the past 35 years. I picked up a pair from a late 80's Fox as options are very limited finding direct replacements. Any tips for putting newer panels in an older fox?
    Last edited by Webstang; 03-09-2021 at 01:29 PM.

I assume you mean you have 87-93 style panels rather than the 79-86 versions.

The biggest issue or difference has to do with the quarter window area. The 79-86 windows mount from the inside. The 87-93 mount from the outside. This means the interior quarter panel is deeper on the 87-93 panels and has to be trimmed down to fit properly on the 79-86 cars. Generally in my experience @ 3/4" works well for doing this. I use 3/4" masking tape to provide and even line around the window area of the panel and then use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to make the cut. The plastic will cut and melt while doing the trimming, but otherwise it's pretty easy. You can clean up the edge with a file or sandpaper. If your cut is not perfect you can use some door edge guard to help cover up the cut edge and provide a more finished look if you want.

The other issue with the 90-93 interior panels if I have my years right is the top seat belt mount moved due to the change in seats. This requires you to drill a new hole for the your seat belt mount and then I usually use the appropriate sized plug/grommet to cover the existing hole. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Do undestand that some of the screw holes that mount the interior panel into the car will be in slightly different locations than your 79 panels. Also you will have to move your speaker wires to the new speaker locations, but that's not a deal breaker. Honestly I prefer the later panels for the better speaker locations. Your rear hatch carpet will work, but it wll not match the curvature of the later model panels, so that's up to you if you want/need to swap that out. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you for the tip for the window area. I had figured some of the screw locations would be a little different, but should still look better than a disintegrating panel. The passenger side is still in great condition, but will be swapped out to at least keep the rear panels matching. My original 79 panels had no speakers, so no problems there. Does the folding rear seat have to come out to R & R the large rear panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Webstang View Post
    Thank you for the tip for the window area. I had figured some of the screw locations would be a little different, but should still look better than a disintegrating panel. The passenger side is still in great condition, but will be swapped out to at least keep the rear panels matching. My original 79 panels had no speakers, so no problems there. Does the folding rear seat have to come out to R & R the large rear panels?
    OOH the ultra rare NO Speaker quarter panels. If they are the style that doesn't have the speaker cut outs, those are cool and rarely seen these days. Definitely want to hold onto those if possible.

You can swap the panels without removing the rear seat upper section. You will want to pull the lower seat cushion to gain access and make things easier. The upper section bolts on the sides and is actually installed after the Quarter panels are. There are round open sections in the lower quarter panels that the seat bolt go through. The way to remove the quarter panels without taking the upper seat back out is to notch or cut the lower portion of the open circle off so that the quarter panel will slide past the bolts. The modification doesn't harm the panels and it can't be seen after reinstalled. I generally use a pair of side cutters and put a 45 degree notch in the lower portion of the circle and then you can maneuver the panels past the rear seat back. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The sunshade mounting is different too, 87-90, 91-93 are different from each other and obviously from the 4 eye variety.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Must be the 79 was very bare bones compared to the later Foxes. No rear sun shade either.

My ds panel flat window ledge right below the glass is crumbling. Prob from years of UV being parked outside forever.
    May get a later style salvage ds rear trim panel and check it out.
    Mid car speaker location is a plus for sure to better cover rear seat sonic space. Would add rear speakers too.
    Looks like the tail light area trim panels will fit.