Close

Thread: TPS for 84 5.0

Default TPS for 84 5.0

As I posted in other threads. i had issues that just popped up last Friday when i was coming home from work. One of the codes I pulled was for TPS voltage too high. It was a genuine Motorcraft TPS that i put in about 5 years ago.

I ordered a Motorcraft off ebay but I needed one quick so I put in a BWD TPS. I recall last time I hunted for the correct TPS for my 84 I found that nobody had a listing for a TPS for an 84. I thought I had bought one for an 86, but yesterday the one I got does not have a matching plug. It has a 3 prong plug. my original plug on the engine harness has a 4 prong connector with one of them blank.

I tried to re-pin the new TPS to place the 3 wires in my old female connector but found the prong size is also a mismatch. I Frankenstein-ed it with butt connectors to get it running because I needed the car this morning. Is there a correct part number for a genuine Motorcraft TPS for an 84 CFI 5.0?

Looks like I'm gonna have to repin or re-prong my set up to keep the original connectors.

FEP Senior Member
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Yes but thats a Standard. i'm looking for the original Motorcraft part

FEP Supporter

https://www.ebay.com/p/1211115864

This one is even cheaper...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293658386646

You gotta tighten up those google skills fgross... lol

E3PZ9B989A shows as a cross reference for the application on the Standard part.
    Last edited by qikgts; 03-12-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1211115864

This one is even cheaper...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293658386646

You gotta tighten up those google skills fgross... lol

E3PZ9B989A shows as a cross reference for the application on the Standard part.
    whoa, thanks for posting this. I just ordered the TPS from the link you posted.

I had just signed in to post pics of a Motorcraft TPS that doesn't match mine. I had picked up a BWD that had a 3 prong connector so I cut off the connector and Frankensteined it for quick use. Then I ordered this off e-bay and thought it was correct.

Name:  Resized_20210319_174021.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  Resized_20210319_174122.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  84.6 KB

According to the ebay sellers description, it should go on an 83-84 Mustang. Look at the internal prongs that are supposed to mount on the throttle. The shape wont match or connect. The part only cost me 18 bucks, but it did come with a gasket and 2 new mount screws, so I'll keep it. I do like how the mounting points are slotted and not holes. I was bummed when I realized this wont work.

I'm in no hurry because I need to repair the rear mount hole as the threads are shot. I am contemplating a heli-coil, but I'm not sure the casting will hold up. I also need an solution for repairing the wiped out threads on the bar the TPS spring. I was able to cross tread and get the tiny nut to hold, but next time it comes off to replace the TPS, it wont thread back on I'm sure.

Name:  TPS spring.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  71.3 KB

Another question, the pic above was from another poster who had questions about how to place the spring that is circled in red. I too had a nightmare in trying to re-insert that spring after removing the small bracket behind the nut. Does anyone have a blow up diagram showing how to reposition the return spring?

Next time I remove my CFI, better be the last time for a good long time.

I was looking onlione for replacement CFI's and I noticed this picture. With everything off it, it does look like the tip is replaceable.

Anyone every do this?

Name:  Inkeds-l1600 (1)_LI.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  1.93 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Want me to check it out on my non ho CFI? If I break it no one will care....
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Want me to check it out on my non ho CFI? If I break it no one will care....
    If you dont mind, sure. If the end piece is actually threaded in it should be removeable.

If so let me know if you can strip it off your old CFI and I'd buy it.

Mine has a stripped out threads on one TPS mount hole. I think I can helicoil it. And the stripped threads on the throttle shaft on the TPS end of the CFI has wiped out threads. In another week or so it will be Spring in NY and I can take my CFI off to examine how to fix the issues. Last resort maybe I can get a machine shop to fabricate the tip if its removable. If its not I may have a rough ride on this one.

I will be able to muck with it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Just mucked with it. I really don't think it can budge.

If you get desperate I could just send you the whole assembly and you could just steal the whole rod out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Just mucked with it. I really don't think it can budge.

If you get desperate I could just send you the whole assembly and you could just steal the whole rod out of it.
    message me how much you want for it.

Thanks

Sent.