Close

Default Does anyone have Bilstein B6 Front Struts on their 1986 or prior/87+ style?

The fitment on LMR says only for 87-93 and on the Bilstein website it also says there is no struts for my 1986 Mustang GT.
    The KYB struts fit 79-86 5.0 & 2.3
    The QA1 struts note 79-93 fitment, but 87-93 fitment must use the included spacer because the original strut is narrower and needs the spacer for proper fitment.
    The Eibach shock & strut kit fits 79-04, but notes "Spacer shims are included for proper strut to spindle fitment on 87-93 5.0L and all 94-04."

So from what I can gather 87-93+ Mustangs need some type of spacer shim unless the strut is already built at a slightly larger size to accommodate the fitment since they were built the exact same size as the 1986 Mustang spindle.

Are Bilsteins out of the question for me? Or should I just consider the other brands that say 87-93 Mustangs need a spacer shim for proper fitment, that way I know I will get proper fitment on my 86 GT? Anyone who has changed their struts with aftermarket performance ones and can chime in would be a great help to me and anyone else wondering. Thanks for your time!
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

Those Bilsteins, and any 87 up struts , require a spacer for the 86 and prior years. If spacers are not included in the kit, you can simple cut off the mounting tabs from your old struts and use as spacers.

Generally the Bilstein struts are only designed for the 87-93 V8 spindles and the 94-04 spindles which is narrower at @ 3/4" compared to the 79-86 and 87-93 NON V8 spindles at @ 1". Most of your general replacement struts are designed for 79-93 and or 79-04 and use the wider strut mount spacing and require shims or spacers to fit the 87-93 V8 and 94-04 narrower spindles.

Most aftermarket performance struts (Koni/Bilstein) available today are only designed for the 87-93 V8 and the 94-04 spindles, so be aware. Other than maching your struts down to @ 3/4" and or replacing with the later model 87-93 V8 spindles or SN95 spindles you will not be able to fit the narrow strut mount onto your current spindles.

My .02 is KYB is crap, with the exception of the AGX, many say they work pretty well I have no experience. Strange and QA1 work pretty well for drag and general straight line performance. Eibach, and Tokico Blues are good all around struts for the average street car that likes a slight improvement in handling.
    Koni and Bilstein are great, but will only fit the later model spindles, although they are worth the upgrade for the larger front brakes and obviously the wider assortment of struts that will fit. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the advice! I had Tokicos on my 99 GT and had no issue with them. Rather them make the Bilsteins fit, I still need to do a 5 lug conversion, so I need SN95 front spindles, so I'll just go without the custom strut fitment and get them to fit that way.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.