Close

Default Has anyone had any issues with J&M/SVE Caster Camber Plates?

I specifically am wanting to buy one of these two brands, most likely the J&M ones, and not Maximum Motorsports. You may be wondering why and the answer is pretty simple. The MM plates are perfectly fine and I had them on my 99 GT, but I installed them in the spring one year and noticed when I had the engine out and was installing a UPR K-member, both MM CC plates black paint was literally peeling off. If I would have wanted to, I could have removed a massive chunk of the black paint that was peeling on both CC plates. I was so confused since I bought them because I heard Maximum Motorsports was top of the line when it came to suspension products and these CC plates were on the car for 6 months. I called up Maximum Motorsports and told them what the issue was and said I even had a receipt to prove the purchase date and I wasn't asking for new plate, just for them to re-spray the plates, or powder-coat them like they claim they do in their ads. They pretty much blew me off and told me there was nothing they could do. This really pissed me off as these were basically new since

I had Tokico Illumina Struts hooked up to them and UPR C/Os, but I didn't even put one mile on them and who care if I put 10,000 miles on them, the paint shouldn't be peeling on CC plates that were only 6 months old. It says right in their warranty they do not cover the powder coat due to age or application of brake fluid, which makes sense, but mine was 6 months old for christ's sake! I remember on my WRX I had aftermarket end-links and the inner rubber piece just got torn to shreds. I contacted them, expecting to send mine back and have it fixed and instead they sent me an entirely new one. I have many other stories like that for my WRX, but the best was for my 99 GT, when I bought a Vortech SQ-Trim head unit and sent it out to to Vortech because the compressor wheel was making all kinds of rattling noises and about 2 weeks later I got a package on my doorstep from Vortech and when I opened it they completely rebuilt it and at the bottom of the invoice it said, " No Charge." That true customer service. Not saying I am expecting free things, but i'll tell you I am a Vortech fan for life because of that.

Anyways, sorry for long story, but I refuse to buy Maximum Motorsports products unless I buy it used in the classifieds on various Mustang forums, excluding CC plates which I won't buy for any price if it's MM.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with J&M Caster Camber plates or perhaps SVE CC plates off of LMR. I'd prefer to buy the J&M brand since I do have some SVE parts on my car, but I would rather buy an SVE radiator than their CC plates. Sorry again for the long rant.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I have had the sve cc plates on my pace car for a couple years now and they are great. I went with those because they were steel and the price was good. Finish is holding up well.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I have no experience with either the J&M or the SVE plates, and I have used MM exclusively for many years. I personally have not ever had any issues with the paint/coating on the plates and I have had them on my PC for over 12 years now and another set on my 86 that have been on there for over 6 years. Its possible they had a bad patch due to issues with an outside supplier, or something else. I am surprised by the response you received from MM as they have always been very helpful and attentive with any issues I have had. You might consider sending an PM to Jack Hidley here on FEP. Maybe he can provide some additional insight or help with the issue.

From what I have seen the J&M and SVE appear to be copies of the MM plates. I am sure they work and in general would perform just the same. I personally like the MM products because most if not all of their items are produced in the USA. I know most of the SVE stuff is made in China. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have the SVE plates on my 2001 Bullitt. They are quality pieces and have had no issues this far (don’t drive the car much). With that, I have purchased a set for my 79 that I will install late Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have no experience with either the J&M or the SVE plates, and I have used MM exclusively for many years. I personally have not ever had any issues with the paint/coating on the plates and I have had them on my PC for over 12 years now and another set on my 86 that have been on there for over 6 years. Its possible they had a bad patch due to issues with an outside supplier, or something else. I am surprised by the response you received from MM as they have always been very helpful and attentive with any issues I have had. You might consider sending an PM to Jack Hidley here on FEP. Maybe he can provide some additional insight or help with the issue.

From what I have seen the J&M and SVE appear to be copies of the MM plates. I am sure they work and in general would perform just the same. I personally like the MM products because most if not all of their items are produced in the USA. I know most of the SVE stuff is made in China. Good Luck!
    Maybe I received a bad batch or something, but the rude response from MM is what really put a bad taste in my mouth. I only buy American made performance parts, so I won't buy anything Chinese made. Maybe i'll just get a set of Kenny Brown CC plates, they say they are made in the USA in Indianapolis.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMasterZero View Post
    both MM CC plates black paint was literally peeling off. If I would have wanted to, I could have removed a massive chunk of the black paint that was peeling on both CC plates.
    Fwiw:
    Once a coating covering aluminum is scratched, the aluminum underneath will oxidize, and the paint/coating will start to peel off.
    Powder coating can also be affected by brake cleaner and other harsh liquids.

Also, from:
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/C...valuation.aspx
    ======
    Not covered

Degradation of plating or the powdercoat finish due to age, or the application of fluids such as brake fluid or cleaners.
    ======

You may be thinking of "anodized aluminum"?
    That can be done so that it's very durable.
    Imho, I'll stay with MM.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    Fwiw:
    Once a coating covering aluminum is scratched, the aluminum underneath will oxidize, and the paint/coating will start to peel off.
    Powder coating can also be affected by brake cleaner and other harsh liquids.

Also, from:
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/C...valuation.aspx
    ======
    Not covered

Degradation of plating or the powdercoat finish due to age, or the application of fluids such as brake fluid or cleaners.
    ======

You may be thinking of "anodized aluminum"?
    That can be done so that it's very durable.
    Imho, I'll stay with MM.

Yes, I read that in the warranty and even shared it in my post above. As stated the plates were only 6 months old and they were bought brand new. No brake fluid or cleaners were ever applied. It's not so much the CC plates had an issue with the powder coat, but the rude ness of customer service from Maximum Motorsports. I held them in such high regard and was told by everyone what a great company they were I was surprised at the reply over the phone I received. I could understand if I was asking for a refund for a $3-4k suspension kit, but it's merely a $200ish Caster Camber kit. Both Kenny Brown and Griggs Racing make Caster Camber plates which I will be going with instead now that I have a Fox and not a New Edge anymore.

I completely agree that poor customer service is the or will be the death of many companies. As I mentioned above it might be worth sending a PM to Jack Hidley and get his input on the issue and maybe he can get something worked out or taken care of. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I completely agree that poor customer service is the or will be the death of many companies. As I mentioned above it might be worth sending a PM to Jack Hidley and get his input on the issue and maybe he can get something worked out or taken care of. Good luck!
    Sure thing, is he a company employee of Maximum Motorsports?

Are you against going with UPR? I see you are using other components of theirs. I have a set of the bare billet aluminum and the are a thing if beauty.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    Are you against going with UPR? I see you are using other components of theirs. I have a set of the bare billet aluminum and the are a thing if beauty.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily, I was just thinking of other Mustang road racing type of companies and Griggs and Kenny Brown came to mind.

Keep in mind the Kenny Brown plates do not allow individual adjustment of the caster setting. They are set for "maximum caster" , but are not adjustable for caster, only camber.

I am not 100%, but the Griggs Racing CC Plates look identical to Maximum Motorsports. I may be wrong, but they appear to MM's plates just sold by Griggs.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Keep in mind the Kenny Brown plates do not allow individual adjustment of the caster setting. They are set for "maximum caster" , but are not adjustable for caster, only camber.

I am not 100%, but the Griggs Racing CC Plates look identical to Maximum Motorsports. I may be wrong, but they appear to MM's plates just sold by Griggs.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I just can't go with a company, despite they may have better products considering their lack of customer service and downright rudeness towards an issue that didn't merit that behavior at all. It's the same with Vortech, but in opposite, I sent out a head unit for a rebuild due to the compressor making odd noises and i'm not sure if their was an issue with the batch or not, but within 2 weeks I received the head unit back, fully assembled and in working condition and in the invoice at the bottom of the sheet, it said " No Charge." Now i've had 3 different Vortech kits on my Mustangs, one of them was already on a Mustang I bought and the others I purchased out of loyalty and their track record of great performance, customer service, and technical support the few times I called about a few issues.