Close

Default 84 CFI hardware issue

I have an 84 5.0 with stock CFI set up.

While swapping the TPS I noticed 2 issues with my CFI body.

The rear bolt hole that holds the TPS in place is stripped out. Wondering if I should drill and tap to the next size up or try to helicoil it? I'd hate to fracture the casing if there's not enough meat or if its not able to tolerate doing that to it.

Also, the shaft that runs through the assembly that the butterflies are actuated by, on the passenger side of it theres a tiny nut with a lock washer attached that holds the choke linkage assemble in place. The threads are shot at the end of the shaft. I was able to make it stay this time but next time there wont be any thread left to screw the nut onto. I'm at a loss how to fix that. cant put material back on. Cant run a die over it. I don't even think I can replace that shaft. Any suggestions?

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  29.9 KB

Also, in reference to the TPS that I was changing out. I pulled a code that said voltage was high. Not sure what would cause that when it was fine for a while. I back probed and found it was at 1.5 volts when it should be under 1 volt. There wasnt enough slack in the adjustment to tilt the TPS and lower the voltage. I popped on a replacement and even after I drilled out the mount holes there wasnt enough slack on the new one either. the lowest i could get it to was 1.2 volts. I was forced to turn the cold idle screw to affect the voltage. I got it down to .99 volt but my cold idle dropped a lot too.

I picked up a cheap BWD because I needed it running today, but I ordered a Motorcraft from ebay so in a few weeks when its warm in NY again I want to try to correct the issues with the CFI and the TPS.
    Last edited by fgross2006; 03-07-2021 at 09:11 PM.