Close

Default MAP Sensor issue

Does anyone know the exact Motorcraft part number for a stock MAP sensor?

I have an 84 LX with 5.0, CFI. The other day coming home from work it ran fine on the expressway but when i got back to town, as soon as I stopped for a red light the idle started stuttering and dropping till it stalled. I pulled 2 codes when I got it home. KOEO 22 and and CM had code 23. no codes in KOER.

I had a spare MAP in my garage but as I recall prior, the car runs OK with it but keeps pulling a 22 in KOEO. I had MAP sensor issues when i first got the car and went through at least 8 different manufacturers MAP until settling on a used Motorcraft MAP from eBay that actually ran good and didnt produce code 22. Thats the one that finally crapped out on Friday.

That one was a E57F-9F479-A1A, which wasn't even made for an 84 Mustang.
    The one I just popped in is a E6FZ-9F479-A which also isnt Mustang specific.

I'm looking for the original part number that was stock in a 84 LX 5.0. Right now the car runs fine but the code 22 in KOEO annoys me to no end.

My roommate has an '86 Thunderbird with 3.8 CFI.

Replace the line going to the MAP. His was collapsing internally, causing weeeeeird running issues and code 22 (among others: inconsistent idle, hesitation, rich running followed by lean running in roughly equal doses). We tested it by swapping the MAP with my '86 LTD Crown Vic (5.0/EFI); at that point the old line broke and that's when I saw the internal collapse at the CFI end. At that point we decided to wait until the weather is warm and swap out ALL his vacuum lines. I replaced the one to the MAP and it runs much better, and right now my CV is using his MAP sensor and he's using mine (his car is not daily driven but mine is; his is now covered up for the winter).

As for the sensor itself, it would originally have been an E43F- or E43Z- number; I'm not sure which one (suffixes -A, -AB, A1A, A2A, B1A....they changed it a LOT in the early years!). It cross-references to a long series of MAP sensors with the current Motorcraft part being CX2403 (AU2Z-9F479-A). Although there were a lot of changes over the years, the signal (frequency based on pressure/vacuum) is the same through the whole series of sensors with the same physical appearance (and possibly the newer styles as well).

Also, because the signal from the sensor is a high-frequency pulse, it's susceptible to problems with poor grounds or electrical noise. Make sure the connector and wiring are in good shape and that the engine, PCM and sensor grounds are good and free of corrosion. If you use a USB phone charger or similar plug-in device with a cheap switching power supply, unplug it and see if it affects you (I had a phone charger that made my truck (Edit: 1987 F150/V8 with the same MAP sensor) run weird, although I never pinpointed the problem, just chucked the charger; and the one currently in the Crown Vic screws with radio reception but otherwise doesn't hurt anything).

Good luck.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-08-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the MAP sensor, nor most engine parts are specific to the Mustang. They are generally coded specific to the original vehicle they were designed for. So unless the Mustang was the first vehicle to get that specific engine and engine combination, the parts may show to be for an LTD, Crown Vic, F Series, Thunderbird, etc. That doesn't really matter.

Also consider that parts constantly get updated and improved, so your engine may have come with an E4 or even an E3 part number, but by the 85 model Ford improved or replaced that part with an updated/improved part and therefore the E5 part number. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the MAP sensor, nor most engine parts are specific to the Mustang. They are generally coded specific to the original vehicle they were designed for. So unless the Mustang was the first vehicle to get that specific engine and engine combination, the parts may show to be for an LTD, Crown Vic, F Series, Thunderbird, etc. That doesn't really matter.

Also consider that parts constantly get updated and improved, so your engine may have come with an E4 or even an E3 part number, but by the 85 model Ford improved or replaced that part with an updated/improved part and therefore the E5 part number. Good Luck!
    with that being true, any revision MAP with the 9F479 part number, theoretically should make the car happy. I find it massively frustrating that the car runs nice, no misfire or stumbling, yet it pulls a code 22 on KOEO. When I put that used MAP in about 5 years ago the code 22 condition went away until now. And I only have been made aware because I think that MAP finally crapped out last Friday when the car started stumbling and stalling. Swapping it got the car running nice but now I have to live with a code 22 condition unless I can find another MAP that my car likes.

I believe DTC 22 indicates the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is out of Self-Test range. Correct MAP range of measurement is typically from 1.4 to 1.6 volts. If the car isn't running right or poorly then the code is an issue. If the car runs fine even with the code, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Obviously getting the correct or original 9F479 is the best option, but not sure if there is one available at this time. If I have a chance I will try and look up the original Ford part number and then you can verify any and all updates to that number to see where that leaves you.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller