Close

Default Long Time Reader-First Time Poster

Hello, all!

Been reading this forum off and on for years. Big fan of the mid 80's Mustangs, and always lusted for an SVO. Don't have one... yet, however we do have an 87 LX 'vert converted to a 5.0 by a previous owner. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. But, I am more partial to the square dash, 4 eye cars, as that is what was 'cool' to me when they were new and I was an impressionable 8/9/10 year old kid growing up in "Ford Country".

Hitting that point in life where the kids are pretty much grown (17 and 20) and developing more 'free' time. Looking at getting into autocross, finally... I went a few times as a kid in the mid 80s with my dad to Waterford Hills.

Joined up because I really would like to find an 83-86 Mustang for autocross, and figured this would be the place to find info about them. I'll pretty much just lag back and read, as I have been, but figured I'd introduce myself before the questions come later this summer.

As for the rest of my info, I'm in southeast Michigan, a prototype transmission technologist for Ford in Livonia, and in my mid 40s. Helped a former neighbor build a 306 and install it in his 1979 Capri RS, he told me about this site way back then (2007 ish). I'll be damned if I remember his username though. LOL, sorry Dewey, if you read this.

That's about it. I'll hang back and read until I think of something useful (or stupid, lol) to ask.

Thanks for letting me join, TTYL.

Respectfully,
    Jason

Welcome! Good luck getting the car of your dreams and getting it where you want it

Discussions are always fun so post away

Hi PBF, Welcome to the site. I hope you are able to find a project soon. They are out there. I go to the annual Ford Nationals at Carlisle, Pa and there are usually several potential project cars for sale there. Livonia Ford Transmission Plant? That brings back some memories for me. I was working for an air door company in the early 90’s when we won the contract for 5 direct gas fired air doors at the Plymouth Blvd facility. I had to commission the start up of the units (which is a story in itself) so I got a nice tour of it back then. I sent many resumes to Ford only to receive a nice thank you letter if at all. Oh well, it’s been a career, none-the-less. So, post questions, pics, whatever. There are no flame throwers here, just a lot of knowledgeable helpful friends.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Thank you both!
    WilliamCapri- the plant is pretty intimidating sometimes. LOL. Thankfully, I work 'next door' in a smaller building across the test track from the plant. And I got really lucky when I was 'hired in'. Started off contract for years, and in 2016 was finally given my 'blue stripe'. Ford has been really good to me- sent me to Europe in 2016 (Germany and England) and over a month in Japan last year. I'd really like to go back to England some day- the afternoon shift garage supervisor in Dunton has a collection of older RSs I'd like to ride/drive in.

Hi welcome from a native east sider living on the west side.
    Plant is one of my way points and landmark when in the area.
    Largest transmission plant in North America. As old as i am.
    Would meet employees from there and Roush in the nearby bars when we all got done with shift.
    Contract work can be frustrating knowing you are like a temp but boy is worth it when the ship comes in.
    Most people cant hang that long. On the line, bitch too much about "when are..." and you are history.
    Gotta stick it out until there is an opening. People stay at good jobs to build seniority.
    Direct hire has become more common again. The best benefits and, for sure, pay.
    High turnover or special jobs are mostly contract/temp with no commitments, or direct if they know people will stay.
    Got my blue stripe in the 70's at the Rouge. They said they keep all employee files and badges forever.
    Seeing Livonia Transmission reminds me of the Jerry Wroblewski J mod.