Close

Default Clutch options for a 85 gt with a 4 cylinder t5

Hey guys, one of my many projects coming up is to put a new clutch and all the fixins like throw out bearing, pivot stud, cable etc in my sons 85 gt. Car has a t5 from a 4 cylinder in it(previous owner) Is there any difference as parts go for a 4 vs a 8 cylinder t5? Thanks
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 03-04-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

External parts should be the same.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

If you have a flywheel for a 10" clutch use that. If your flywheel is for an 10 1/2" clutch use that. I think '87 was the first year for a factory 10 1/2" .

Your 85 should have a 10"

Like said above all the other parts are essentially the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    If you have a flywheel for a 10" clutch use that. If your flywheel is for an 10 1/2" clutch use that. I think '87 was the first year for a factory 10 1/2" .

Your 85 should have a 10"

Like said above all the other parts are essentially the same.

Ok, thanks. Was not sure because I read input shaft is different size on the 4 banger t5's. I'm going to be replacing flywheel with the clutch as well so I think I'm going to go 10.5 and 157 tooth.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 03-04-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Be sure to check out the pilot bushing closely in the flywheel when you have it apart. The 4 cylinder T5 has a different (smaller) input shaft tip and uses a smaller pilot bushing from what I have read.

If someone just put in a 4 cylinder T5, but you still have the V8 pilot bushing, then it will not fit correctly (tight enough) and could cause all kinds of wobble issues.

That is if your continuing to use the 4 cylinder T5...

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Be sure to check out the pilot bushing closely in the flywheel when you have it apart. The 4 cylinder T5 has a different (smaller) input shaft tip and uses a smaller pilot bushing from what I have read.

If someone just put in a 4 cylinder T5, but you still have the V8 pilot bushing, then it will not fit correctly (tight enough) and could cause all kinds of wobble issues.
    Ok, ya that's what I was reading earlier. Will have to check that out when its apart. Can you get the pilot bushings for the 4 cylinders still? Planning on still using the 4 cylinder t5 for now. Put new clutch and everything in and see how it performs.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Maybe others can verify but I think if you spec out a pilot bushing from a 2.3L mustang with a T5 that it will still fit the V8 crank.

Getting the old one out might be a challenge though.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Maybe others can verify but I think if you spec out a pilot bushing from a 2.3L mustang with a T5 that it will still fit the V8 crank.

Getting the old one out might be a challenge though.
    I've been just itching to try the bread trick lol
    In all seriousness though, as long as the flywheel is in decent shape we will probably just keep using it. Just need to find out what size is in there I guess.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The 2.3 pilot has a MUCH smaller OD & ID. The "standard" solution is to use an 84-ish Ranger Perkins diesel pilot (search this site for "diesel pilot" - but beware, lots of misinformation comes up with that search).

A 4-cylinder T-5 with a 5.0 must be really unpleasant in 1st gear (3.97:1 vs 3.35:1).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    The 2.3 pilot has a MUCH smaller OD & ID. The "standard" solution is to use an 84-ish Ranger Perkins diesel pilot (search this site for "diesel pilot" - but beware, lots of misinformation comes up with that search).

A 4-cylinder T-5 with a 5.0 must be really unpleasant in 1st gear (3.97:1 vs 3.35:1).

Mike
    Wouldn't really know lol, have only drove it about a block since we've owned it
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

If your running it behind a V8 why not get a V8 trans so all works better together?

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

The 4 banger t5 can be a fun stop light to stop light transmission with stock gears. Anything above 3.55 and first is like granny low. I used the Ranger diesel pilot on my 86 years ago. I needed transportation and the 4 banger t5 was a cheap stop gap till I could get my v8 t5 fixed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    If your running it behind a V8 why not get a V8 trans so all works better together?

That's eventually the plan but where I'm from they are not easily found and often people want way more than they are worth. Just like the cars themselves. This is just a temporary solution.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Makes sense.