Close

Default door window run channel?

I broke a piece preparing for paint. Am I correct this is the door run channel? And a piece of the trim broke. This is for an 85 lx. Where is the best place to buy?

https://www.foxresto.com/1979-93-Mus...-p/1179002.htm I see, can I replace just a piece of the weather strip vs the entire kit?

Is it thes?https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...758&cc=1133772
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...108&cc=1133772
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jpierce55; 02-25-2021 at 06:57 PM.

The pic looks like the outer dew wipe. Was it installed with several clips holding it to the door sheet metal?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

It's the piece that is upright at the back of the door window. The chrome slides in it. I thought the dew wipe was the bottom piece. You may be right.

Maybe this is more clear

The thick pieces look like dried out door window run rubber channel .
    Mine easily crumbled into pieces like that during removal.
    They fit inside door window frame from above door handle, across top, and down below the mirror inside the door.
    Is molded rubber with felt channel inside where window glass touches it when moving up and down.
    The main glass to door seal.

Dew wipe is a straight metal piece clipped on both door window ledges, has rubber squeegee profile that drags on glass.
    They run from door handle to mirror.

got mine here fit, look, and work perfect takes time to pry out old pieces to allow new to seat correctly in door frame channel.
    https://www.npdlink.com/product/run-.../166180/151031

Drivers side

I'll order both sides....thanks
    Last edited by jpierce55; 02-25-2021 at 09:07 PM.

I think GR79 is correct.

The extra pics look like a window channel weatherstrip not a dew wipe.
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Thanks guys. Really. I was at a loss. I have both sides on order. I'm debating on pulling the door/trunk locks and door handle to paint or leave them

Quote Originally Posted by jpierce55 View Post
    Thanks guys. Really. I was at a loss. I have both sides on order. I'm debating on pulling the door/trunk locks and door handle to paint or leave them
    I hate to say it but after 34 years almost ALL of the weatherstripping is shot. Most get hard and brittle. The door and hatch get torn up from feet (door) or stuffing stuff in trunk/hatch.
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

My drivers door was ok.
    PS was gone and leaked air.

Took me 3 hours last October. A lot of time was spent completely removing the dried up crumbly rubber pieces.
    Then while the door panel was off, cleaned, relubed window regulator items.
    WS is a tight fit into the door. Study closely in '3d' before removing all of it to see how it fits.
    Trick is to push it in the door with tool in window groove. It is thick, but work carefully not to poke any holes.

Silicone spray helps seating ws.
    Found starting at top corner of door, above door handle, worked best to align everything.
    This is the right angle rubber section of the ws. Tough to seat but has to be all the way in door frame channel.

Keep an eye on the inside and outside ws flap edges, making sure they are not pinched and are flat on door frame.
    Work across top to mirror then back of door frame or whatever you like.
    Save front part for last. Remove mirror for more access when fitting new ws in that area.
    If feeling lucky, the front bottom end of the ws can be pushed in the track inside door without removing door panel.
    Best to remove door panel for much easier access, inspection, cleaning, relube parts, and insure complete seating of ws.
    Vac out any pieces of old ws or debris at very bottom of door to keep drain holes clear.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-25-2021 at 11:21 PM.

They will look great with new paint. Install before or after painting is your call. The fit and quality is factory tight.
    As for painting (locks and handles), i tape them then prep around them.
    Not seen any chipping. Fine for a daily driver and using spray cans or spray gun. No one has noticed.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-25-2021 at 11:21 PM.

My windshield and quarter windows have newer seals. Back window and door seals are original. Door seals seem ok, as I always lubricated those and had the car since 94.

Thanks again

I replaced the window channels, dew wipes, and weatherstripping on my '86 with parts from LMR. Removing the old crunchy window channels was the hardest part
    John Brown
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe
    Instagram @wilwaxu
    Facebook @wilwaxu

My old channels came off easy enough. Nothing stuck to the doors!