Close

Thread: Stock 10 holes

Default Stock 10 holes

Anyone ever polish these wheels? How do they look?

Anyone make a set of DRs that will fit without rubbing issues?

86 GT, stock rear, 4 lug.

Thanks, Rich.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

I have polished ones.. look good.. probably need to be buffed out some more... but I like 'em :-)
    dont have any really good pics... I can get some though... when it isnt raining

as for D/R's.. no clue
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cappn Tripps
    I have polished ones.. look good.. probably need to be buffed out some more... but I like 'em :-)
    dont have any really good pics... I can get some though... when it isnt raining

as for D/R's.. no clue
    I would like to see some pics. My SVO has polished stockers and they look great on it. I may keep the 10 holes if they look good.

Thanks, Rich.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Anonymous

how can I polish my stock 10 holes

goose

I painted mine. The previous owner gave me a set with the car, two naked and two with bad tires. We'll see how well the paint holds up when I get them all newly wrapped and on the car. Here's a pic of one of my painted ones:

-gus

Blog Entries

I run 235-60-15 BFG DRs on my 10 holes. Perfect fit and hook like mad

FEP Senior Member

Here are my drag radials mounted on my brother in laws old turbo 5.0 notch. They are p275/60r15 on a stock 10 hole rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky C
    Here are my drag radials mounted on my brother in laws old turbo 5.0 notch. They are p275/60r15 on a stock 10 hole rim.
    Did he have to cut or roll the fenders?
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

jazzcat2001

depends on the brand

Blog Entries

275s don't fit a 7" wheel properly (BFG doesn't recommend them for 7" wheels), you'll likely have interference with quad shocks (those that have them flip the quads), tail pipes (known quite a few who have had this, might have been due to suspension mods or problems) and fender lips. There is also no traction advantage going with the 275s over the 235s. You'll just have tires that will wear funny, be squirmier and look incorrect.

jazzcat2001

i thought 10 holes were 8"

Blog Entries

Nope, they're 15x7.

jazzcat2001

ive had a 275 on with no problems before...nittos aren't as wide as most tires

FEP Senior Member

if you look in the MM&FF october 03 issue on page 170 it shows 275/50r15 bfg drag radials mounted on 10 holes and tells how the did aginst ET streets.
    86 GT , 5speed, stock 86 block and cam, ported e7s, cobra upper and lower intakes,65mm tb,U/Ds,no A/C or smog,reflashed computer, BBK longtubes, custom 2 1/2 o/r xpipe, magnaflow catback,c-springs, koni's all around,and 16x8 AR wheels.

85 coupe-project sleeper

This is how my SVO wheels look. The GT wheels probably would not look bad.

85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

jazzcat2001

Quote Originally Posted by goose
    I painted mine. The previous owner gave me a set with the car, two naked and two with bad tires. We'll see how well the paint holds up when I get them all newly wrapped and on the car. Here's a pic of one of my painted ones:

-gus
    those look like the ones i gave away...autozone brand chrome paint works great

Here's some low quality pics of my 5,0 when I first got it. The wheels were as clean as I've ever seen. Since converting to 5-lug I needed to clear space in the shed(No garage at the time) and sold them for practically nothing.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

jazzcat2001

i gave a set of those away just because they were taking up space

goose

My 10-holes are taking up space, but I like them better than the 14" turbine-looking wheels on my car right now. 15" wheels aren't impressive either, but I won't be in the market for new wheels until I'm out of grad school. I'm not prepared to live with those turbines for two more years.

I used wheel paint available at your local auto parts store. Forget the brand, but it's semi glossy with metal flake in it. I didn't think the 10-holes would look that great in chrome on a black car.

-gus

Quote Originally Posted by goose
    My 10-holes are taking up space, but I like them better than the 14" turbine-looking wheels on my car right now. 15" wheels aren't impressive either, but I won't be in the market for new wheels until I'm out of grad school. I'm not prepared to live with those turbines for two more years.

I used wheel paint available at your local auto parts store. Forget the brand, but it's semi glossy with metal flake in it. I didn't think the 10-holes would look that great in chrome on a black car.

-gus
    I must be the only one on the planet who likes those Turbine wheels. I really have no idea why. The only ones I have seen have all been dirty and neglected.

Maybe back in my "youth" I saw a set somewhere that was new and on a sharp looking car.

You guys really bash those things. Maybe I need to start stockpiling them for when you guys all want to buy them back :-)

-Mike

I really like the 15" 87-90 turbine wheels too. A pain to clean. I think they look really good on the early Foxes.

stevebob100

So whats the max size that will properly fit a 7'' tire and not rub the wells?

My 93 Turd Burgler...........

Polished the rims along time ago. They really do look good in person, but dont photograph well. They would also look alot better with cooler tires then I have on it.

84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevebob100
    So whats the max size that will properly fit a 7'' tire and not rub the wells?
    I've seen 265/50/15s on the back of an '86... they didn't rub at all.
    But they also didn't fit the wheel very well. The back end of he car was very sloppy and the tires looked oversized when you really looked at the wheels.

I think a 245 would be the largest you should go with a 7" rim and that might be pushing it a bit.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky C

looks more like a 275/50 DR to me. Tire isn't tall enough to be a 28" 275/60.

edit.. .don't see enough sidewall buldge possibly a 235/50 DR..